Most Overrated aircraft of WWII.....?

The most over-rated aircraft of WW2

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If the BF 110 is looked at from the Battle of Britain stage wasn't it somewhat misused anyway ?

I am working with WWII Aircraft Performance. These are two separate reports. It likely was two different pilots, twiddling switches and levers differently. I don't know how accurate airspeed indicators and altimeters are. It looks like the people testing the Hellcat were not interested in performance above critical altitude. I read somewhere that the supercharger gears on the Packard Merlin Mustangs could be changed to suit tactical requirements. Maybe the gear ratios were different between R-2800s.

I imagine somebody is sitting in a cockpit with a wristwatch and a clipboard, reading gauges and taking notes all while flying the aircraft. The jiggles in the Corsair's curve are not due to supercharger gear changes.
That's exactly what the bumps are, supercharger change points. These dips are seen on all superchargers that have either or both a dual speed or a dual stage. To shift up you have to pull throttle back temporarily. Superchargers make max power only when unthrottled. So all the planes with multi stage or speed SC will have that. the turbocharged p-38 don't have shift points and thus are smooth as Turbos didn't have that issue.

Last edited:
That's exactly what the bumps are, supercharger change points. These dips are seen on all superchargers that have either or both a dual speed or a dual stage.

A twin stage supercharger driven by a variable speed drive, such as the DB 603L or the experimental Packard V-1650-19 don't have the "dips". Those are for supercharger drives with multiple fixed gear ratios.

Has to be the bf 110 it had the guns but it didn't have the speed and turning of something like a P-38 which had good guns too and the british mosquito so the 110 is my pick for overrated
The Bf110 was an excellent aircraft, and was an extremely dangerous adversary to ANY fighter in 1939/40.
Comparing it head-to-head against aircraft that entered service 4 years later is somewhat apples to oranges.

Edit: I should add that it continued to routinely destroy allied aircraft, from September 1939, right up until VE-Day in May 1945. Not many designs from 1935/36 can claim that

Last edited:
That's exactly what the bumps are, supercharger change points. These dips are seen on all superchargers that have either or both a dual speed or a dual stage. To shift up you have to pull throttle back temporarily. Superchargers make max power only when unthrottled. So all the planes with multi stage or speed SC will have that. the turbocharged p-38 don't have shift points and thus are smooth as Turbos didn't have that issue.
Did the Corsair's R-2800 have a three speed supercharger?

If two stages were a setting, two stages plus two speeds would equal four settings. Unless there was some way to flip the second stage off, you have two settings.
First supercharger was used first than the second supercharger was added inline, than high speed for the second supercharger so really only three settings. Only the second superchager was dual Speed. This video explains it well starting at two minutes

Last edited:
Your welcome, the whole channel is awesome as he uses orignal sources and isn't afraid to say when he doesn't know something for sure. Lots of great videos

Yeah, I've watched a couple of Greg's videos and appreciate his attention to detail. I intend on diving deeper into his channel once I've finished plumbing Drachinifel's naval Youtube channel, as that's another area of fascination for me and he too is very detail-oriented.

Yeah, I've watched a couple of Greg's videos and appreciate his attention to detail. I intend on diving deeper into his channel once I've finished plumbing Drachinifel's naval Youtube channel, as that's another area of fascination for me and he too is very detail-oriented.
Drach puts out so much content it's near impossible to keep up especially with the dry dock series. He's also funny and his voice is so relaxing I sometimes use them to fall asleep to as well

Yeah, been watching Drach for a couple of years, sometimes he get's a bit long winded though, but still, entertaining and insightful to the end.

The Greg (not ours) guy though, isn't he the one that posted a video claiming that the Thunderbolt could have done the Mustangs job in 1942-43 but government corruption or reasons or some such other drivel? Or am I confusing him with someone else?

Yeah, been watching Drach for a couple of years, sometimes he get's a bit long winded though, but still, entertaining and insightful to the end.

The Greg (not ours) guy though, isn't he the one that posted a video claiming that the Thunderbolt could have done the Mustangs job in 1942-43 but government corruption or reasons or some such other drivel? Or am I confusing him with someone else?
I never was able to wrap my head around Drachinifel using robot voice initially because he thought his own was lousy.

When it comes to Not Our Greg, he is indeed the one with the conspiracy theory about the Thunderbolt, though I think it was covering up the 'fact' that the need for long range fighters were realized too late. Or something. He also have disagreed with Calum Douglass, but I suppose nobody (goes for all of us) is perfect. there's still a lot of great content in both of the guy's videos.

Same guy but I have listened to several other presentations that are pretty good, but his 'Thunderbolt' presentation had way too many errors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back