Most Unattractive Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No, what the Potez 630 could not shake off was the fact that it was using 700hp engines when it's rivals had moved on to 1000-1100hp engines. And this is after they switched from Hispano radials to Gnome-Rhone radials. (Some of the Hispano radial engines established a reputation for the propellers parting company with engines/aircraft in flight)

The Bf 110s reputation would have been pretty poor if they tried to fight the Battle of France and the BoB using Jumo 210 engines.

So it was more like the Blenheim, then, which still had an enviable wartime career. These engine issues were a French characteristic though, as you well know!

The Potez 630 used the same engines as the Germans later used in the Hs 129 ground attack plane.
An 1159 cu in (19 liter) 14 cylinder radial that ran at 3030rpm at full power. It was light, it was only 37.4 in (less than a meter) in diameter.

The fighter versions were certainly sleek and good looking (the recon version leaves something to be desired) but the low powered engines doomed it. At least with 100 octane fuel you could push the engines on a Blenheim to about 1000hp for a short period of time.

I think all of them look great with the Sikorsky being the standout. But then again. I'm a sucker for flying boat configuration. Hence my penchant for the B-24 which looked like such and whose predecessors were flying boats.
The Sunderland version of the Short has a more attractive canopy.
Another great one is the Japanese H8K Emily, which was the best of its kind in WW2.

France did build some remarkably ugly aircraft (especially its bombers).

Britain did manage some "winners," too: I offer the Fairey Handley-Page Heyford:
(This image was created and released by the Imperial War Museum on the IWM Non Commercial Licence. Photographs taken, or artworks created, by a member of the forces during their active service duties are covered by Crown Copyright provisions. Faithful reproductions may be reused under that licence, which is considered expired 50 years after their creation. )

Last edited:
Sorry to be picky but that's actually the Handley Page Heyford.

Users who are viewing this thread