I'm torn here between keeping my mouth shut versus trying to keep things on the tracks. For now I will just mention a few things, then shut up.
1) I was not involved with this aircraft or team in any way. But I do have the highest level of respect for Leeward and his crew.
2) In case some don't know, Stu Dawson was flying Rare Bear which was behind the Ghost after Leeward passed him at the end of the second lap.
3) The boil off system had an exhaust port by the trailing edge of the left wing. Seeing the occasional puff of steam from that region was normal.
4) If the boil off system blew, I think the canopy would have been fogged/steamed over, which it appears (to me) to be perfectly clear.
5) Oil canning was visible on the right side mainly around the second "7" on the race number "177." Photo below is by Florin (circle too) on lap 2, 1 lap before the loss of control. Other photos (mine) show oil canning was present on 9/13 during qualifying.
6) Photos and video indicate the gear came out on the front stretch. The first indication of trouble was when the a/c quickly rolls into about 100+ degrees of left bank and about simultaneously the tail wheel comes out. Video is by Jason Schillereff and it does not show the end because Jason is a good guy. Last 1/2 lap of the Ghost is shown starting about 7:05. The incident begins at 7:36.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoncG_j5AdI
I vowed that I would not post anything about this but I feel it is important to show what is out there to keep speculation to a minimum. I will see how I feel about this tomorrow because I don't want to be one who sensationalizes this tragedy. Air Racers, pilots, crew, photogs, fans.... I see them every year and we are all like family. This all hurts and I never want to do anything to add fuel to any fire of speculation.
I know nothing and I'm a nobody!
WJPearce