Mustang IV "Edmonton Special", 442 Sq RCAF, May 1945 - Aircraft in Foreign Service GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks woody, hopefully my comparitively primitive skills (to many on this site) can help find any issues with this kit, though I haven't found any yet! They even give you a magnetic screwdriver.

So here are the completed cockpit and engine. The seatbelts gave me a lot of hassle because the CA glue doesn't hold the part in place at all. Anything that doesn't look properly painted either won't be seen or I haven't touched up yet because it'll be visible. May wait till the end actually in case some spray sneaks through:

DSC_07181.jpg

DSC_07191.jpg

DSC_0721.jpg

DSC_0722.jpg

DSC_0723.jpg

DSC_0724.jpg

DSC_0725.jpg

Here are some pics of the supercharger (?) intake. Some PE in here too, so some of the vents can open and close. While a huge pain, they look good and the system is well set up. Part of the problem I had was the tweezers I was using somehow became magnetized so the PE would stick to them...

DSC_0727.jpg

DSC_0728.jpg

I was finally able to close the fuselage up after 15 hours! These pictures were taken after I called it a night at 17.5 hours. The rudder and all control surfaces use a similar system as Trumpeter uses with rods and PE to allow them to move. Trumpeter's are awful because they just flop around like a fish, but the rudder on this one seems to be more steady. That said, it's VERY fiddly and I don't know if I want to bother with the elevators and ailerons.

DSC_0729.jpg

DSC_0730.jpg

DSC_0731.jpg

DSC_0732.jpg

I usually don't count how long a model takes me, but my dad suggested I do with this one as it's so expensive just to see the rate per hour on it. I paid $126 for it, and I'm already down to $6.80 and hour and I haven't touched the wings yet. So it may be pricy, but it'll be a rather cheap model in terms of $/hr by the time I finish. One thing I'm unsure of is the colour of the struts around the engine. It calls for some of those to be aluminum. Is that the case?

Looking really nice Cory. Have you tried accelerator with the CA?. I couldn't live without it.

Thanks Glenn. I haven't. It doesn't take very long to dry, but with some things I should try it out with. That said I don't usually use this much PE, if any. Generally if I buy something aftermarket for a model it's decals, but this of course came with it all.

It's a big help when you use CA for anything, but sometimes you feel like need a third hand. One to apply the glue, one to hold the part, and one to apply the kicker. :lol:

Great stuff Cory. That part you referred to is the radiator and oil cooler. The supercharger intake is the one under the spinner.

I have found that PE sometimes does stick well with CA and it's due to the polished nature of the metal. If you give the back of the PE parts a light sanding, they'll do a lot better.

happy0034.gif

That is a nice progress report Cory and you certainly seem to have got on well, it sure looks good. Also some useful tips from Glenn and Andy.

What colours would this be painted? I know the fuselage band is Sky. The decals haven't arrived yet and we've had a few paintable days but I haven't gotten to the point where I can paint, but I may be able to today or soon, but if I don't know/have the colours I'm hooped.

Cory,

Not sure what you mean by Struts, are you refering to the engine supports?
any way not sure if this photo will help, but they look to be green and cowling brackets aluminium.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• 998.jpg
    998.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 85
Good work there Cory, and that last pic posted should help with the cowling support frames, although they were sometimes finished in yellow zinc chromate.
The overall colour scheme should be Dark Green, Ocean Grey and Medium Sea Grey I would think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back