Mustang IV "Edmonton Special", 442 Sq RCAF, May 1945 - Aircraft in Foreign Service GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

User Name: Catch22
Category: 3, Beginner
Entry: Mustang IV "Edmonton Special", 442 Sq RCAF, flown by John Mallandaine
Kit: Tamiya 1/32 P-51D Mustang

So you're probably wondering where the Hell I went! To be honest, I just kind of lost interest in modelling and to an extent WWII history and spent my time doing other things (mainly hockey related). I've also been in and out of the hospital since November with fluid around my lung then unrelated low Potassium levels :rolleyes:, so it's been kind of hectic around here. I've had a lot of down time I haven't honestly felt like modelling at all, nor have I been on the site for a while. That I'm not sure about why, and I've done it before so who knows. Anyway, hopefully this will get me back into the swing of things as with some of my Christmas money (I hope everyone had a good one!) I picked this up today:

new-tamiya-p51-mustang.jpg

This thing's pretty crazy, and hopefully I haven't bit off more than I can chew! :lol: The scheme I'm doing it in is one of the 442 Squadron RCAF machines named Edmonton Special. I'd do any of their planes, but it just so happens that the one named after my hometown is the only one I can find a sheet for. It's the 2nd plane from the top on this sheet along with some actual photos of it, taken after the war:

X32043.jpg

mustang-05_sm.jpg

mustang-06_sm.jpg

mustang-07_sm.jpg

442 Squadron RCAF, P-51D Mustangs

I haven't found any other photos of it, but here's a link with the restored Mustang at Vintage Wings in Gatineau, Quebec painted as Y2-C which looks nearly identical to the one I'm doing.

Restored P-51D Mustang of 442 Sqn RCAF

Some things will be straightforward with this model, but there are so many bloody choices (3 canopies etc) that I simply won't know what to use for this plane or version, so that's where you guys will come to the rescue I'm hoping, and you guys have a 100% success rate at that ;).

Now, the only snag with this is that it's winter here, so painting may be an issue when it comes time. It's been abnormally warm, but it's still a couple degrees too cold to paint properly, so we'll see.

Well..that's a mighty cool kit to try and get back into business after some down time :)

Nice one Cory! Note that the aircraft in the pics is a Mustang IVa, in other words, a P51K, so you'll need the Aeroproducts prop, and the 'Dallas' canopy. The latter is the one with the steeper curve at the rear end, and slightly higher 'bubble' over the pilot's head.
Note also the 'gills'over the breather vents on the lower cowlings, typical of Mustang IVs.

Thanks guys, and nice catch Terry, didn't notice that. I do know what canopy you mean, and I believe the gills are an option in the kit. I've got an old Hasegawa kit and the Dragon kit in the stash, so I'll check those for the props.

Both of those kits provide only the Hamilton Standard 'cuffed' props blades Cory. However, the kit parts can quite easily be trimmed and sanded to achieve the shape of the 'cuff-less' Aeroproducts prop blades.

No such luck so I've ordered these, though the guy that wrote the review sounds like he works for the company that made them :lol: :

AeroScale :: In-Box Review: Aeroproducts Prop Spinner by Bill Cross

EDIT: Of course I didn't see your post and the parts are already ordered! :oops: Oh well, they weren't too pricy, and shipping wasn't bad even though they have to come from England. Cheaper than some domestic shipping.

The first pic looks more like seat armour, or part of an early P51A/B seat. The second pic shows the 'dished' seat pan and back rest, which are the correct parts to use for the 'D' and 'K'.

Thank you gents.

So I've already put about 5.5 hours of work into it, but it's mostly been painting cockpit parts interior green etc. However, they want me to put this giant cushion in. Is this accurate? This isn't my model.

1018-9.jpg

No. The Mustang pilots, in the USAAF anyway, wore a back-pack 'B4' parachute, and sat on a dinghy pack. Far as I know, RAF/RAAF etc used the same, although it's possible that a seat-type parachute may have been used instead, as this was the standard-issue pilot's rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back