My fathers sqdn over seas 409 Nightfighters.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

John Reid

Airman
Jun 18, 2018
Montreal Canada
Dad en17.jpg

This pic shows my dad on the left. The tall lanky guy is his navigator/radar operator John Peacock of Westmount Quebec. He was killed on his first mission after dad returned to Canada. Because of his size, he got caught in the escape hatch.

Last edited:
He had some career, your father. He was a remarkable man.

I have a rather flippant question about him. I know that his middle name was Wendell, but I see his nickname given as both 'Windy' and 'Wendy'. Which is correct, or is it both?

Cheers

Steve

He had some career, your father. He was a remarkable man.

I have a rather flippant question about him. I know that his middle name was Wendell, but I see his nickname given as both 'Windy' and 'Wendy'. Which is correct, or is it both?

Cheers

Steve
Hi Steve! His fellow fighter pilots gave this name to him overseas. Back in Canada, it evolved into both.

Yes, he did have a wonderful career. He rose to Group Captain during the Cold War in the reserve 401 Sqdn and flew for Air Canada(TCA) at the same time. He flew on Vampires out of St. Hubert and was on call in case of emergency.
His career in Air Canada was also successful, he flew every aircraft they had (except the Vanguard) and rose to Chief Pilot on 747s and was Director Of Flight Standards. He also was an instructor for corporate aircraft. When he retired from Air Canada he flew 707s for Air India until his eyes failed him due to diabetes.
He also did lots of private flying on floats and otherwise and had about 30,000 hours in all. During the 1960s dad and I and a fellow named Al Pow restored a 1929 Beech Travelair to CofA standards. He also had built for him a Steens Skybolt and a Pitts Special.

TCA advertising around 1950 when he was flying for the reserve and the airline.

Dad en44.jpg

Cheers! John

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 498218
This pic shows my dad on the left. The tall lanky guy is his navigator/radar operator John Peacock of Westmount Quebec. He was killed on his first mission after dad returned to Canada. Because of his size, he got caught in the escape hatch.

The People's Mosquito is very interested in your father's service on Mosquitoes. Could you please contact me on [email protected] Many thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back