My first Post!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oct 22, 2020
I like this website! There are two points in US history I Disagree with! I think it was wrong for President Truman to order the Atomic Bombings of Japan! I also think the US had no business going to Vietnam! French Indo-China tried to leave France, and France decided to get tough! Today one Vietnam, is being run successfuly by Communists and French Indo-China is Gone!

Christopher Tarana

I like this website! There are two points in US history I Disagree with! I think it was wrong for President Truman to order the Atomic Bombings of Japan! I also think the US had no business going to Vietnam! French Indo-China tried to leave France, and France decided to get tough! Today one Vietnam, is being run successfuly by Communists and French Indo-China is Gone!

Christopher Tarana
Christopher. You will probably get some activity given the statements. Some may agree? Some may disagree? In any case it is imperative to not make this thread a political one. Not sure how to keep politics out of it but I would be interested in your 'reasons' for dissagreeing? Humanitarian, cultural, anti war?

I have been a Registered Republican since I first time I was old enough to register to vote! I came from a long of Democrats also! Then I looked back on the whole Civil War Issue as well!

Christopher Tarana

I have been a Registered Republican since I first time I was old enough to register to vote! I came from a long of Democrats also! Then I looked back on the whole Civil War Issue as well!

Christopher Tarana
Not questioning your allegiances, I myself am an island in a sea of opposition. My curiosity is with your feelings towards these events? The atomic bomb for one. I am convinced, even with the horiffic loss of lives in Japan, this did save exponentially more lives in the long run. Your opinion on how else could the war with Japan have ended and at what cost? Certainly just a debate, but one that may open my mind a bit?

Not questioning your allegiances, I myself am an island in a sea of opposition. My curiosity is with your feelings towards these events? The atomic bomb for one. I am convinced, even with the horiffic loss of lives in Japan, this did save exponentially more lives in the long run. Your opinion on how else could the war with Japan have ended and at what cost? Certainly just a debate, but one that may open my mind a bit?
I think we should have kept on the "Execute UnRestricted Submarine warfare on the Empire of Japan" Path! I think a couple of more years and Japan would have Surrendered! I do know that Germany was credited with discovering Uranium but they lost the war anyways!

Christopher Tarana

Last edited:

Christopher Tarana
Christopher - please be advised that we have a very strict anti-politics rule here!!! I'd advise you to read the ground rules.

Christopher Tarana

Please make yourself aware of the forum rules. Especially pertaining to politics.

I think we should have kept on the "Execute UnRestricted Submarine warfare on the Empire of Japan" Path! I think a couple of more years and Japan would have Surrendered! I do know that Germany was credited with discovering Uranium but they lost the war anyways!

Christopher Tarana

How many more allied lives would have been lost during those "couple more years."

I can stay on topic!

Christopher Tarana

The subs would have won the war, but the cost in lives would have been much larger than the two nukes plus further conventional attacks put together, I suspect. A 1946 Japanese famine due to the destruction of interisland shipping of food would have killed millions of civilians, I think.

And there's also the war-weariness of the American public to consider. You want two more years of wartime rationing and body-bags coming home, you better have some sweet words to mollify public opinion.

It's been well documented that Japan, despite the continual aerial bombardment of it's territory, was not going to willingly accept an unconditional surrender. Before the Japanese Emperor decided to end the war, Prime Minister Kantaro Suzuki wanted to see one more massive land battle to save face, and he was one of the more moderate leaders. LeMay by his own admittance was running out of cities to firebomb and in Ed Jablownski's book "Wings of Fire" it was documented that Japan still had several thousand combat aircraft still serviceable. Even with the resistance experienced on Okinawa, Saipan, Iwo Jima and Tarawa, there were still plans to invade Japan, and it's well documented those in charge were not looking forward to an invasion.

Thousands of Allied POWs owe their lives to the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The Japanese military had ordered all POWs be executed in preparation for the expected invasion. The bombings forced a reckoning by the Japanese, and coupled with the Soviet offensive in Manchuria, forced them to accept peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back