My first Post!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think the main reason for the atomic bomb at that time was the fact that the USSR finally declared war on Japan. The west did not want the USSR to expand their sphere of influence to the Far East like they did in Eastern Europe, so they had to make Japan surrender at that time , effectively denying the Soviets a reason to fight there and conquer land.

I think the main reason for the atomic bomb at that time was the fact that the USSR finally declared war on Japan. The west did not want the USSR to expand their sphere of influence to the Far East like they did in Eastern Europe, so they had to make Japan surrender at that time , effectively denying the Soviets a reason to fight there and conquer land.

I agree that this played a big part as well.

I like this website! There are two points in US history I Disagree with! I think it was wrong for President Truman to order the Atomic Bombings of Japan! I also think the US had no business going to Vietnam! French Indo-China tried to leave France, and France decided to get tough! Today one Vietnam, is being run successfuly by Communists and French Indo-China is Gone!

Christopher Tarana
There are so many reasons for afore mentioned "decisions"; none of them are true/right/ correct, nor opposite.

Not only read more, but also play more!!!

Crusader Kings / Hearts of Iron IV / The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (some of main quest line and the civil war quests and story) ...

Also there is a game called "RealPolitiks", if not mistaken, Give it a try.

And don't forget, all of Life, is nothing more than a game, itself.

Steam link for "RealPolitiks":

There are so many reasons for afore mentioned "decisions"; none of them are true/right/ correct, nor opposite.

Not only read more, but also play more!!!

Crusader Kings / Hearts of Iron IV / The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (some of main quest line and the civil war quests and story) ...

Also there is a game called "RealPolitiks", if not mistaken, Give it a try.

And don't forget, all of Life, is nothing more than a game, itself.

Steam link for "RealPolitiks":

I do have Age of Empires 1 and 2, as well as Combat Flight Simulator 2 and 3! All the DOS games I run using Defend Reloaded!

Christopher Tarana

Not only that, those two bombs were a message to Stalin: we've got one big goddamned stick here.

Of course, with hindsight we know that Stalin already knew of the atomic program, but Truman and others didn't know that then, so sending this message at the expense of the Japanese was part of the rationale, I believe.

Not only that, those two bombs were a message to Stalin: we've got one big goddamned stick here.

Of course, with hindsight we know that Stalin already knew of the atomic program, but Truman and others didn't know that then, so sending this message at the expense of the Japanese was part of the rationale, I believe.
Knowing the enemy has a weapon is different then see it used with that devastating effect i think. Even for uncle joe.

That's what I learnt at school exactly, Marcel.
When Soviet Union declared war against Japan on August 9, Japanese leaders immediately decided surrender to the west represented by the US because they knew how the communitsts represented by Russians would govern them well. Atomic bomb(s)? Wasn't it nothing but a human experiment after all? The Japanese still see it so.

Last edited:
When you total up the number of lives that were regrettably lost in Hiroshima and Nagasaki and weigh that against the millions of lives that would have been lost both American and Japanese, it became the only logical decision. Growing up around any number of Pacific Theater veterans, they all said one thing. They were glad that the bombs were dropped because they felt that they would have died during an invasion.

The war was over without A-bombs though I understand your minds for justification.
People live in such a fantasy like "I was right" or "We were right!!!".

The war was over without A-bombs though I understand your minds for justification.
People live in such a fantasy like "I was right" or "We were right!!!".
It's a dangerous subject indeed. But I believe most of the reasons here were indeed behind the reasoning then. Remember, these were different times. After years of war and millions of dead, the allies had no reason to feel compassion for the Japanese, who had shown to have no compassion for them either. I believe that in a war like that, your enemy becomes that inhuman being.
The Allies had their reasons for dropping the bomb that seemed perfectly justified at the time, just like the Japanese had their reasons for starting that horrific war, which to them, I'm sure, were perfectly logical too. Wether all these horrible deeds were indeed justified, only God knows I'm afraid.

When you total up the number of lives that were regrettably lost in Hiroshima and Nagasaki and weigh that against the millions of lives that would have been lost both American and Japanese, it became the only logical decision. Growing up around any number of Pacific Theater veterans, they all said one thing. They were glad that the bombs were dropped because they felt that they would have died during an invasion.
People seem to forget that far more lives were lost in the fire-bombings of Tokyo than Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined.

And unlike the instant death that the atom bombs caused, the conflagration caused by the incendiary raids were a slow, horrible death.

I think, as always, hindsight is 20/20 on this one. The projected death toll would be in the millions. The US military hasn't even gotten halfway through the Purple Heart stockpile that was ordered in anticipation of a land invasion. As counter-intuitive as it sounds, think of how many lives were not lost by getting an unconditional surrender. Okinawa painted a pretty grim picture for the US with civilian suicides, guerilla tactics, and fanaticism of the Japanese army. The US saw what happened with Germany's second go around at a world war and were not negotiating with anything but an unconditional surrender.

It's a dangerous subject indeed. But I believe most of the reasons here were indeed behind the reasoning then. Remember, these were different times. After years of war and millions of dead, the allies had no reason to feel compassion for the Japanese, who had shown to have no compassion for them either. I believe that in a war like that, your enemy becomes that inhuman being.
The Allies had their reasons for dropping the bomb that seemed perfectly justified at the time, just like the Japanese had their reasons for starting that horrific war, which to them, I'm sure, were perfectly logical too. Wether all these horrible deeds were indeed justified, only God knows I'm afraid.
I only mentioned a historical fact objectively, Marcel.
Japanese loved Americans more than Russians at their final choice.

Generally we have a no politics rule here, and the reason is that, well it keeps the forum fairly civil. While I sometimes chafed with it early on, I've come to realize the reason society was more civilized in the past was that people didn't talk about such things.

Ironically, the no politics rule is why we can have nice things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back