My New IL2 Video Research Thread...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks man, yeah...it was a bit long...but like I said, I was playing with angles and different visuals at the same time playing with a fire-up/rollout of the aircraft...so it was more a demo/test than anything...

What tough is the buffeting Bill...The 109 is bouncing all over, and so am I, even with RPM's cut back and flaps out....

There are strikes, but not the lucky one that gets the BOOM.... Have tried ainming for the wings, the underside and the cockpit.... I think its amatter of time, and since Im not recording the combats yet, its a learning experience....

Either ur Dad got real lucky with the shot or he really knew where to aim....

I suspect it has more to do with about 300 rounds of API starting from 200 yards slight deflection to 50 - in the real world... rather than a game where they may be downplaying the effect of .50 caliber fire.

He had a K-14 and he was a good pilot and the 109 was apparently not able to fly evasive manuevers in the dive... SOL

Im sure there is some downplaying of the .50's in the game, as I can pour 300 rounds into a 109 with just some slight debris comin off the crate....

Too many 4 and 5 kill missions to downplay the 50 effectiveness in real life.

The WRW in this game got four plus most of a fifth with the four gun P-51B battery over Munich on 24 April with Bob Woody.

AFAIK all the 5 and more scores in one mission were six gun D's like Jane III and Hun Hunter (and Cripe's a Mighty and OLE and Elizabeth, etc).

I am sure that other examples exist, but the highest score in a day for LW(against ETO foe) that I have found so far is Egon Meyer's four Jugs in his Fw 190... with much 'heavier' firepower.

Interesting info Bill.....

Ask the Russian designers of the game why they under-modeled the P-51 and the .50 cals, and most of the other Allied planes....

My bet would be they'd say "Nyet.."

The old addage -"nothing wrong with a fix as long as you are in on it".. sounds like a Senator/Congressman might have been the source

LOL Bill...

Well, in that last screenshot, where I took WR-B and scratched that '109, I had to work that rascal like a prom-dress to get the kill...

At optimum range, I opened up and raked the fuselage and wings and all I got was debris. The '109, though damaged, dove to get away, and I closed up and let 'er rip again. This time, more debris and it checked up on me (thus getting an extreme close-up screen shot), I broke right and circled back, but the '109 finally went on down. You can tell that I was putting the hurt on the Messerschmitt, there isn't a square inch on that thing that is untouched.

Bottom line is, in a real encounter like that, the 'Stang would have ripped that '109 apart in the first volley (I raked it good for almost a full second) so either the game is giving the P-51 a loadout of target/practice rounds, or they (.50 bullets) just aren't modelled as they should be...

OK, been workin on Steeple Morden some and tryin to get Berts plane off the runway to start the vid...

It aint gonna happen as Dave suggested....

So, heres some screenies... I taxied off the runway, got near the P-51B's (the only "dummy" -51's with white noses) and swung it HARD to port and stopped..... Then started it up and taxiied to the runway.....

I wanted to get the other fellas from the 2 flights as well at Steeple, but I think this opening will be better as opposed to all 8 sittin on the runway startin up their engines, like Ive done in all my other vids...

This vid is after all a tribute to Bills Dad, so he should be the main focus....

Now, that bein said, Dave, if u could get ur boys to work out the taxiing of the 3 others from Yellow Flight, Zimmerman, Johnson and Rafferty, I could work it out.... However, I have no idea how to get the mission over to u, as the missions I make in FMB dont show up as files in my IL2 folder....

Kinda lost on that one...

Im planning on getting individual shots of all the guys flyin in formation towards the rendevouz with the B-24's, so its no biggie if we cant gloss up Steeple....

Bill, do the screenshots pass the muster for Steeple Morden??? I still got some tweakin to do, but its close now....

Attachments

• 354e.jpg
    354e.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 354d.jpg
    354d.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 37
  • 354c.jpg
    354c.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 354f.jpg
    354f.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 37
OK, been workin on Steeple Morden some and tryin to get Berts plane off the runway to start the vid...

It aint gonna happen as Dave suggested....

So, heres some screenies... I taxied off the runway, got near the P-51B's (the only "dummy" -51's with white noses) and swung it HARD to port and stopped..... Then started it up and taxiied to the runway.....

I wanted to get the other fellas from the 2 flights as well at Steeple, but I think this opening will be better as opposed to all 8 sittin on the runway startin up their engines, like Ive done in all my other vids...

This vid is after all a tribute to Bills Dad, so he should be the main focus....

Now, that bein said, Dave, if u could get ur boys to work out the taxiing of the 3 others from Yellow Flight, Zimmerman, Johnson and Rafferty, I could work it out.... However, I have no idea how to get the mission over to u, as the missions I make in FMB dont show up as files in my IL2 folder....

Kinda lost on that one...

Im planning on getting individual shots of all the guys flyin in formation towards the rendevouz with the B-24's, so its no biggie if we cant gloss up Steeple....

Bill, do the screenshots pass the muster for Steeple Morden??? I still got some tweakin to do, but its close now....

That looks like the Litlington Church at the North East end of the Ne/sw runway. In real life the 357 (Dragons) were parked ne to sw along that runway.. if you look at the photo the 354th revetments were west of the se/nw runway pointed at town of Steeple Morden. The 358 was all along and south of the tower, hangers, etc which were situated on the Steeple Morden to Lillington roard.

But the Church tower was the most prominant feature of Steeple Morden. The light helped serve as an outer marker to guys returning in bad weather - line up 210 and put the light on your left side and sink until your wheels touch.. That is a 357FS ship at the ne end of the runway

Attachments

• 355fg Steeple Morden airfield.jpg
    355fg Steeple Morden airfield.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 355fg Steeple Morden-Litlington_Apr45 [marshall].jpg
    355fg Steeple Morden-Litlington_Apr45 [marshall].jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 40
I can only do so much with the very generic map that I have of the English Isle Bill, and I have to utilize the airstrip at Maidstone for Steeple Morden...

There are no revetments available to me... Ill snap a pic of what the base looks like and maybe u can point me in the right direction for placement of what I can utilize with the game....

Wish I could get the planes on the ground to look the part, but I think I can fudge it when I shoot the vid clips....

Possibly utilize Dave and his buddies for some of the ground clips, we'll see....

I can only do so much with the very generic map that I have of the English Isle Bill, and I have to utilize the airstrip at Maidstone for Steeple Morden...

There are no revetments available to me... Ill snap a pic of what the base looks like and maybe u can point me in the right direction for placement of what I can utilize with the game....

Wish I could get the planes on the ground to look the part, but I think I can fudge it when I shoot the vid clips....

Possibly utilize Dave and his buddies for some of the ground clips, we'll see....

I wouldn't sweat the trivial stuff Dan - both of you have done an awesome job

Cool Bill, its only going to be a small part of the vid, maybe 20 seconds in length anyways... I think it conveys the spirit of Steeple Morden close enough....

The Litlington Church, as we speak, is one of our considered 355th Memorial Fund local public service donations... it is 900 years old and meant a lot to the 355th pilots. It is 'close enough' to the graphic.

...Hopefully Dave has got those pilot skins on the move, cause Im just about ready to some some "filming"...

Funny you should mention that :lol:

I have 6 of the 8 pilots done, of course, I don't think we'll find Rafferty, it just doesn't exist :(

Brown's photo is giving me a hell of a time, but I'll just keep at it...

None of these freakin' images had a face-on shot, they're all sides and profiles...

Anyway, here we go, the first 3 of 6!

1) Marshall
2) Johnson
3) Priest

Attachments

• Priest_cameo.jpg
    Priest_cameo.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 49
  • Johnson_cameo.jpg
    Johnson_cameo.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 41
  • Marshall_cameo.jpg
    Marshall_cameo.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 48
Looks like tying to match a face is kinda hard but you seem to have captured them real good. You're not just "scanning" an image here, you are "creating" it in shop..

Well done bud..

Thanks guys, it's had it's challenges, that's for sure.

Can't wait to see what Bill says!

Here's the last two...Brown and "Rafferty"...

Brown was about as hard as Johnson to do, but unlike Johnson's, I was able to reconstruct Brown's face well enough to work without getting artistic with the "paintbrush".

Rafferty is not Rafferty, of course, but a surrogate. Aparently, there is no known photograph of Rafferty, so I used a very generic photo to fill in his place. If anyone objects, holler and I can do a switcheroo in the space of a few minutes...

Attachments

• Brown_cameo.jpg
    Brown_cameo.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Rafferty_cameo.jpg
    Rafferty_cameo.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 47

Users who are viewing this thread

Back