My New IL2 Video Research Thread...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wondered about the 'limitations' in crafting a model. as they say, no biggie - especially with everything else you guys HAVE been able to do.

So far the only real anomalies I have seen were the muzzle blast locations on the wing and the spit twin mirrors.

I am impressed.

Simply excellent.

Dave what tools/software is required to make or modify skins, then load them into an existing game?

The only thing you'll need to "paint" a skin for IL-2 with, is a decent imaging program. I use Photoshop to create/edit a skin, and I use Paintshop to convert the finished skin to a 256 color .BMP file.

With IL-2's source code being under wraps for so long, I never learned what it took to create a model, or even edit an existing one. So I just stuck to skinnin' them

I've fooled with the aircraft models in Jane's WW2 Fighters, and I had a number of new aircraft in the works for CFS3 using gMax software. (My Ju87G is the only personal project I finished...lol)

As far as getting the skin into your game, you go into your IL-2 main folder and find the Paint Schemes folder. From there, you'll find the Skins folder...which contains all of your available aircraft skins. You simply take your finished skin and drop it into the appropiate folder and launch the game!

You'll find your new skin in the skin dropdown when you load a mission and select your aircraft.

OK, I have gotten as far as I can with the video now.... I have it completed all the way up the very first apprearance of the 109's in formation getting ready to roll in on the B-24's....

I got the -24's flying formation, then a fly-by, then Berts Mustang closing in on the Group and finally looking out his canopy to the right at the Bomber stream...

And it only took 4 hours to get the 15 seconds of video.....

Its all up to u now Dave... Once I get those 109 skins, the fight is on.....

I have still been trying to get that first damn kill as described in Berts after action report and still, no explosion.... I was able to get one of the 109s wings to break off, but thats it.....

Frustrating......................

Alright...here's Weinzierl's Black 1

Erich never got back to us on the question regarding the color of the I bar. For the 11. gruppe, I assumed it would be black. Will the 7. gruppe's I bar be yellow or black?

I'm ready to roll these dudes off the press, so any changes or adjustments can be easily made.

Attachments

• Weinzierl_blk1-b.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 52
To get back and focused on the last bit of detailing project, heres the shots we are working with.... Included are the only 2 pilots face shots I have, for Baer and Sommerhoff....

Attachments

• ~355fg_foe_JG53.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 47
  • ~355fg_foe_JG53_.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 54
  • ~355fg_foe_JG53_Baer_[manks].JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 50
  • ~355fg_foe_JG53_Baer[manks].JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 46
  • ~355fg_foe_JG53_Sommerhoff[manks].JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 45
Some quotes...
What color was the vertical Gruppe Bar color Erich???
D ~ think 9th should be white and 11th staffel yellow numbers

The 7 JG53 ships (pilot/staffel) that were 100% destroyed by 355th were:
Harpel 11.
Amon 9.
Bar Stab III.
Heck 9.
Pusch 11.
Sommerhoff 11.
Weinzierl 11.

More....
JG 53 book is not here yet, prob next week. does confirm that LW crates had underwing 2cm weapons pods to their G-6's
JG 53's crates may have been a mix of underwing cannon jobs and those without to take on the US Mustangs

This is the info I was going from, as far as the numbering and assignments.

As for the coloring, I've seen some serious discrepancies. From what I've seen, it appears that some crates still had MTO markings as they were being transferred north. The upper camo went from an angular to a wavey during the summer of '44. The artwork of Yellow 5 (The photo of Yellow 5 is from I. Gruppe, 3. Staffel) really doesn't match the photo too well

Anyway, like I've said before, we can make as many changes as we need!

Attachments

• 1Gp3StflJG53.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 55
ok gave the responses that D has copied down what do we need to confirm now, am not finding much to give a 100 % accurate detail of these crates.....

have been out of the loop of sorts for over a month due to allergies and a weird virus. was told this will hang on for at least 6 weeks...........no energies plus fighting the cancer crap along with this, so you can imagine the weak feelings.

Again could be the case due to losses that a staffel was borrowning crates from another staffel to fill ranks, although the pilot member was from another staffel his staffel and the crate he flew - numbers and colors do not add up, but this remains part of that strange mystery of many Jg's during late 44 into 45. JG 301 was notorious for this and even the SturmFw gruppen when they got their rears chewed real bad had to make up numbers for the other staffels as pilots were rady and able but no machines in their own staffels...........hoping this makes sosme sense.

RE: the 109 skin Given your time frame RLM 74/75 will be the colours

and as for wing camos heres a selection of the most common used on G-6s at the time.
I dont know the specifics of which factory or production batches used which style (if anyone does can you pass the info on to me)

but here what you would have seen flying

Actually, the colors in 1944 were more complex than the 74 75 over 76.

You had combinations like 81 82 over 76, 82 83 over 76, 81 82 over the odd 84 and 82 83 over the same 84 base. The 84 appears almost greenish in tone and has been debated on it's true tone over the years.

They had splinter, wavey and mottled patterns in combinations of the above RLM colors...

Also, like Erich said, you had aircraft being shuttled from various fronts and being pressed into service. So there was a good chance that a MTO or Ost-front camo'd aircraft could be seen formed up with northern ETO crates.

Erich, sorry to hear ur down and out Brother... I'll be replying to ur email shortly.... Hang in there man.... How does this skin look to u??? Is it good to go, or does it need some changes???

OK Dave, u got alot of info to gather up and decide on the skins... If u really want to make this interesting, try some differing camo colors from the available schemes if u want..... As long as its accurate....

Im trusting ur judgement with Erich and Bill's approval for the validity and historical signifigance of the JG53 Bf 109G-6 Late skins....

Lets see some magic.....

Attachments

• ~355fg_foe_JG53 02a.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 53
Actually, the colors in 1944 were more complex than the 74 75 over 76.

Those colours 83/82/81 were only just coming into use at the time your video will be set and then on only on brand new aircraft, mostly G14AS which most of were still RLM 74/75 in the basic style that was used during the battle of britain.
luftwaffe camouflage isnt has complex as people once thought, only during 1945 did the random stuff come out, and then its still catalogable, just look at Japos workes.

RLM 84 is generally agreed apon now as a fictitious colour code, the shade was a creamy yellow RLM76

RLM Technical Department bulletin GL/C-E 10 Nr.10585/43 (IVE) Az.82b 10 of 21st August 1943 was indicating the replacement of 70 71 with 81 82.

So if an aircraft manufacturer had an ample supply of the older colors, they would be delivering the older color schemes until thier stock ran out. On the otherhand, manufacturers that had the new colors supplied because of production demand and/or factory damage, would be delivering machines with the fresh colors.

An example would be the Ar234, which was delivered with, and wore the old color scheme (70 71) until the very end of the war.

As it stands, I'm using RLM 76 base with a RLM 74/75 overall. The mottling is combinations of RLM 02, RLM 74 and RLM 75 (as seen in the previous screenshot)...

9. staffel, Oblt. Martin von Vacano - Gelbe 7
9. staffel Uffz. Hermann Heck - Gelbe 9
Stab III. gruppe Oberfhr Peter Bär - Schwarze 4

Attachments

• Yellow7_Pusch.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Yellow9_Heck.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 55
  • Black4_Bar.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 69
11. Staffel

Fliger Fritz Weinzierl - Schwarze 1