My Sons First Skydiving Jump...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The shute is pulled out automatically as you jump by a line (Static line) that is attached to the plane. You will have seen this in films where they attach a line to the rail that runs the length of the plane.

A free fall is when you pull the ripcord that releases the drouge chute, that in turn pulls out the parachute. You free fall from the time you leave the plane until you want to deploy the chute.

FJ I had to smile at your comment about having to wear a chute but not knowing what to do. I went solo in Gliders at 16 and as you know you have to wear a parachute. Well I made the mistake of getting overconfident and ended up in a very violent cloud, had no control and was sure that the glider was going to break up. I sat there for what seemed an eternity and going through my head was, Knees up, pop the canopy, release the belt, then what. Navy rules said that I had to wear the chute as 16, but couldn't go on a course until I was 17. Spot the floor in the logic.
Thats why I went on a course just as soon as I could.

C-130 rollin' down the strip
64 Rangers on a one-way trip
Mission Top Secret, destination unknown
They don't even know if they're coming home
When my plane gets up so high
Airborne troopers gonna dance in the sky
Stand up, hook up, shuffle to the door
Jump right out and count to four
If my main don't open wide
I got a reserve by my side
If that one should fail me too
Look out ground, I'm a-coming through
If I die on the old drop zone
Box me up and ship me home

Glider said:
The shute is pulled out automatically as you jump by a line (Static line) that is attached to the plane. You will have seen this in films where they attach a line to the rail that runs the length of the plane.

A free fall is when you pull the ripcord that releases the drouge chute, that in turn pulls out the parachute. You free fall from the time you leave the plane until you want to deploy the chute.

Oh... I thought it had something to do with the chute. I always heard that landing with the old round chutes was harder than with the new rectangular ones.

Thanks for the information.

The main difference is that a modern chute acts more like a wing and enables you to have a lot of control over where you land and how you get there. Some chutes are reckoned to give you the ability to climb like a glider and you can travel quite considerable distances before having to land. However to use these, demands training and skill.
An emergency chute such as those we carry in the glider is designed to get you down in one piece no matter who is using it and is more like the traditional circular parachute.

Static lines are for mass dropping loosely trained soldiers into a large drop zone at a low to medium altitude... There is no steering ability with these...

On modern chutes, there are riser lines that connect to panels on the canopy which allow for steering and braking when landing..... These are for the more highly trained individuals who have the need for a more precise landing zone, and/or the ability to enter a given area from a distance away, thereby not alerting security/military personnel....

The ability to free fall is cherished among civilians and military units...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back