Mystery B-25

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

But Jan might need that ....... I've got a 1973 £9 note, supposedly genuine .......

I have a US $20.00 bill that was slightly folded when it went through the printing press. Has a blank
streak diagnally across the middle. I hear it's worth about a grand.

But, being serious, $750K might just be the purchase price. How about the cost of a complete re-build ?
Then the normal monthly maintenance. Unless we got Joe B-25 qualified, we'd have to pay a pilot
co-pilot. I really think it's way out of the reach of the members of this forum...... unless someone REALLY
hit's the lottery.

However...... it costs nothing to dream about it.

Charles

$750,000 is about £400k which isn't that expensive really...... Im sure to keep it running would cost more, but who needs to keep it running, buy it, restore it and museum it? Offer pictures for sale for kids in the cockpit and you can pay for the upkeep that way.

Lads I have some more information on the B-25 at Franklin, Va. I work with a guy who is very active at The Military
Aviation Museum at Virgina Beach, VA. It appears the aircraft is for sale, and the musuem is negotating with the
owners for a sale. I heard the asking price was $775,000.00 As is /Where is..

The guy that I work with sent me the following pic's.
Pic One was taken in 1975
Pic Two was taken in 1993, in her hey-day.
Pic Three was taken in Franklin, but not by me.
Pick Four was taken in 1973

How quick they go downhill when they are not taken care of.......

Maybe this grand old lady will get back into the air ???

Charles

Attachments

• 431508.jpg
    431508.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 180
  • 253253.jpg
    253253.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 183
  • 145249.jpg
    145249.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 082262.jpg
    082262.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 172
Asking 775K for that bird, as is, is stupid. I've seen them, in flying condition, go for less. Here's on on Courtesy's page for 100K+ less than these jokers are asking for it.

N345BG North American TB-25N

Probably throw the 775K number out there to discourage anyone who isn't serious. But the rebuild on that one one will go into the hundreds of thousands, if not million+. As such, the purchase price, "as is" should be around 250-300K tops.

Just too much work to be done.

^^^^Remember that its missing an entire engine as well.... How much does a Wright R-2600 Cyclone go for these days?

Thanks for the update Charles, and good to hear she might yet be saved.
I agree about the cost of re-build. When she was converted into the camera ship for the BoB movie, she was lightened and strengthened, as well as the numerous modifications for camera positions. No doubt this would have to be taken into consideration when a re-build is undertaken, as I'm guessing any non-standard mods would need thorough checking, NDT and approval, adding to the time and cost of the restoration.

Might be true armadillomaster, but what would we do with it after we get it. Who knows how much money it would take to get it back to flying condition, plus that keeping it in flying condition. Would be more than what all of us forum members could muster up, especially now a days. Would be nice, but in the end it would be a lost effort for the members of the forum to try and buy a warbird and keep her going. just my .02 cents

Might be true armadillomaster, but what would we do with it after we get it. Who knows how much money it would take to get it back to flying condition, plus that keeping it in flying condition. Would be more than what all of us forum members could muster up, especially now a days. Would be nice, but in the end it would be a lost effort for the members of the forum to try and buy a warbird and keep her going. just my .02 cents

Or maybe restore it to Museum static condition. Then if the museum decide to make it airworthy they could?

It would be nice to restore it to Museum condition, but unfortuantly in this day and age it would be almost impossible for us to undertake a project like that. Alot of us are barely able to survive on what we are making, much less dish out some more for the restoration. I am pretty sure everyone hwere would love to help, but just wont happen any time soon. But hey, there is always hope though. We can still build plastic models and restore them that way!

Had to go to Franklin, Va. today, and took the business route US 58 just to pass by Franklin airport. The B-25 and the Fairchild trainer are still sitting on the tarmac. They both appear to be going derelict. It's now owned by a company in Texas. It's a real shame.... and BTW, this is the second time the B-25 has gone derelict. It went down hill in 1975 and was resurrected. I found this:

Tom Cangialosi sends along an interesting photo of 44-31508 (N6578D) taken in New Jersey in 1975. This B-25 was used as the cameraship for the filming of the Battle of Britain in England in 1968. At that point, it was owned by Euramericair, a company operated by Jeff Hawke. Hawke also flew the airplane for the filming. After the filming was completed, a series of legal problems followed the airplane, not uncommon for Hawke and his airplanes. It was derelict at Caldwell, New Jersey, when this photo was taken. It went to Tom Reilly in 1977 and was returned to airworthy condition and operated as Chapter IX. It was later sold, and is now going derelict again, this time at Franklin, Virginia.

Charles

Attachments

• 431508.jpg
    431508.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 145249.jpg
    145249.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 91
It's a real shame.:(But with the economy in the shape it's in it could be a long time before anyone attempts to restore it. Thank you for the update Charles. I wish there were something we could do about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back