Mystery B-25

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for theupdate Charles. I agree, it's a darned shame to see vintage birds like those just lying there, rotting away. It would be nice to be able to lodge some form of protest, but I'm guessing the response, from 'those' sort of people, would probably be along the lines of '%$£% off', or 'If you want them, give me x million and they're yours'!

We should buy it :D . I know it costs a lot and I'm a kid but I got a birthday coming up..... :lol: I could not get a gift but rather the family members generous enough to get me something I could ask for a "Donation" instead ....just a thought and a start. I'm willing to give up gifts for this beauty.

But as Eric pointed out it's going to cost a lot.......... so sad. :(

Maybe the trainer is more within our range. :lol:

Last edited:
Perhaps if folks here worked to bring the aircraft's situation to the attention of restoration organizations might be almost as good as us "purchasing" it.

And if an organization did purchase it, then we could sponsor it's restoration through donations and maybe fund-raising. Kind of like adopting it.

Just an idea :)

Well its no suprise it does cost a fortune to operate a vintage aircraft. Preservation to museum standard is my thinking. Still whoever owns can do what they like with it, unfortunately for the rest of us :(

Perhaps if folks here worked to bring the aircraft's situation to the attention of restoration organizations might be almost as good as us "purchasing" it.

And if an organization did purchase it, then we could sponsor it's restoration through donations and maybe fund-raising. Kind of like adopting it.

Just an idea :)

Great idea!

I am an A&P, get me a place to stay and food and would gladly restore it. :)

We could try a community sponsored salvage program.
Making phone calls and establishing connections is not that expensive.

The hard part is to get it from the owner, and I doubt he will sell for a reasonable price. :(

(I know another who collects aircraft and other items like Fred G. Sanford (from Sanford and Son), but he smashes them, does not take care of them, and always wants too much for them).

Some owners I know establish corporations or foundations for the warbirds and solicit donations (501.c) for operation and up keep. When I was out in CA a few years ago there was a worse looking B-25 on a little airport north of San Jose. I would have stopped But we were packed on a bus.

Here's an update, guys....

Was up in Franklin, Va., yesterday [9/19/10]. I didn't stop at the airport, but the B-25 and the Fairchild are still sitting
in the same place. I had the camera and was going to get a pic from the road [US 58 business bypass], but there was
too much traffic and no place to pull over. It hasn't been touched.... :(

Why would people who own an aircraft valued at about 3/4 million US dollars just let it sit ????

Charles

I'm wondering if there is some sort of 'hold' on the aircraft Charles. Perhaps a large, outstanding bill for services or parking, un-paid taxes, that sort of thing. Whatever the reason, it seems a darned shame to let an otherwise restorable, possibly to airworthy condition, veteran aircraft go to waste.
Twenty, thirty, fifty years from now, even such types as the F4 Phantom will be becoming rare and valuable, and should be preserved, so something like a B25, today, really needs to be rescued. Obviously, it's impractical to 'save' every retired airframe, but the more which are, rather than scrapped, the better, especially for future generations say, in the next century.

hey guys, i've got an idea. what if I were to talk to the museum of Flight in Seattle and get THEM to take this bird off that tarmac?

hey guys, i've got an idea. what if I were to talk to the museum of Flight in Seattle and get THEM to take this bird off that tarmac?

I talked to one of the owners of the B-25 last year, Rio Grande Aviation, in Texas, and he made it very
clear the aircraft was not for sale. I spoke to the airport manager and he told me the tie-down fees
are paid a year in advance. Unless the ownership of the aircraft is in doubt [which I doubt], or there
is some type of lien on it, Rio Grande Aviation is the sole owner of the A/C.

The airport manager told me the left engine was removed about fifteen years ago, and the plane has
not been touched since.

It's a damn shame.....

The fairchild aircraft, also sitting there is PT-26A. I managed to get this info on it:

1942 Fairchild PT-26A "Cornell" N128PT on the ramp at Franklin Municipal Airport. Served the US Army as 42-71150 and was based at Tonawanda Field, NY.
This aircraft is part of the fleet belonging to the Old Dominion Squadron of the Commemorative Air Force. This aircraft is not currently flightworthy.
[Note: Is is not currectly owned by the CAF]

Charles

Last edited:
Thanks again Charles. I can only think that the owners don't want to sell, but are unable to renovate it yet. Perhaps it's a long-term aim to restore it, possibly to airworthy status, when funds allow, or maybe speculation to sell when the value increases.

You could always try these guys down in Virginia Beach, VA. They already have one B-25 and I think they're restoring another one from scratch. Pulled it from the water I think. The cool thing is that every aircraft you see in their hangar is in flyable condition is maintained in such condition.

Military Aviation Museum

You could always try these guys down in Virginia Beach, VA. They already have one B-25 and I think they're restoring another one from scratch. Pulled it from the water I think. The cool thing is that every aircraft you see in their hangar is in flyable condition is maintained in such condition.

Military Aviation Museum

The people at Rio Grande Aviation made it very plain that the aircraft was not for sale. However,
everything has it's price. I'm sure they would consider $750,000.00 [usd] in an "as is, where is" offer.

Now.... who's got 3/4 of a million dollars ??

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back