Mystery B-25

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I always wanted a B-25. I wish I had the funds or connections. Set up a non profit organization, throw money into a trust fund and get a couple of corporate sponsors. Once the bird is flying, tour the world selling rides. I would name her Get Lucky or Breaking News with a nice pin up.

At the time those photos were taken, the aircraft wouldn't have been too bad. The minimal paintwork is the remains of one of the multi-coloured patches applied to the otherwise natural metal airframe, to aid in formating for the various camera angles required during filming of the BoB movie the previous year. The aircraft had been owned and flown by Jeff Hawkes, who disappeared in a light aircraft, in 'mysterious circumstances', I think in the late '80's. Apparently the Mitchell, lightened by the removal of many uneccessary fittings, handled more like a fighter than a bomber, according to Hawkes.
The hemispherical, optically correct nose cone was made and fitted especially for filming, and a large astrodome-like perspex dome fitted in place of the top turret, together with a retractable camera 'turret' in the belly.
The aircraft was subsequently used for a number of years for other aerial filming work, including, AFAIK, the war movie 'Hannover Street', filmed at Bovingdon, UK (also used for 633 Sqn., The War Lover etc), with a further 6 or more B25's as 'stars'.

Any more news on this neglected B-25 Mitchell in Virginia? I'd be happy to help as much as I can, shoot I'll drive down there and help to sand off rust and chipped paint. :) But I can't even think of all the details involved in even starting such a venture.

I know you guys like to talk about ownership of an airplane like that, but do any of you know how much it costs to operate an old bird like that? That's not mentioning what restoration and/or corrosion work would need to be done.

We have had a PBJ (a REAL one, the last of it's kind) at Camarillo in restoration for as long as I can remember. They are making process, but it is a LOT of sweat and blood. And it is a ton of money. The original plan was 15 years. That was close to 20 years ago and they still have a long way to go. The fuselage and wing roots have been cleared of corrosion and primed, but they still have to do the wings and the engines.

To get it airworthy and keep it there is out of the reach for most individuals, and even some foundations.

Sure, dreaming is allowed. I just want to make sure that unless someone is exceptionally wealthy here, and willing to shell a bunch out, the thought of a board owned B-25 is just a dream.

Was up in Franklin, Va. over the weekend, and decided to stop at Franklin Airport to see if the B-25 was still there. It
is, and it looks just like it did last time. The weather is slowly taking it's toll. Also talked to the airport manager and
he still wants it off his tarmac.

Something new has been added, tho. In June the owner's of the B-25 flew in with three Fairchild PT trainers to refuel
and continue their flight to Florida. One of them would not start, and they decided to leave it there. It's sitting, like
the B-25. The blue stuff on the prop is a cloth wrap of somekind that has started to deterioate.

Charles

Attachments

• B25-1 8.30.JPG
    B25-1 8.30.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 186
  • B-25 8.30.JPG
    B-25 8.30.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 180
  • Fairchild.JPG
    Fairchild.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 184
  • Fairchild1.JPG
    Fairchild1.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 186
  • Fairchild3.jpg
    Fairchild3.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 190
Its a damn shame what those guys are doing to those planes. That B-25 should get the proper attention it needs instead of just rotting away. I say we hunt down the owners with pitch forks and shovels and give them a good thrashing:twisted:

The owners of both the B-25 and the Fairchild are: Rio Grande Aviation, Inc. in Texas.

I just wonder if bombarding them with letters of protest would do any good ???? Anyone who wants to organize a letter
writing campaign PM me. If you want to write a letter yourself, go here for the address:

FAA Registry - Aircraft - N-Number Results

Charles

Last edited:
What the heck...does that guy just poop vintage aircraft or something? Looks like he leaves a trail of a/c where ever he goes...unreal.

I would really like to see an outfit like the EAA, CAS or a flight heritage museum get that aircraft and bring it back from the edge of oblivion.

Thanks for the photos and update, Charles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back