Mystery Wagon

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i will take some more pics of it the next time i am there :)

you are on to something there about no trailer hitch..will look closer and get more details pics of the whole wagon asap

i will take some more pics of it the next time i am there :)

you are on to something there about no trailer hitch..will look closer and get more details pics of the whole wagon asap

Many thanks my friend. Its a very interesting piece of history there. Ive always found ground support vechicals intersting but this one is a puzzle.

The thing that popped up about it being used to move engines were the size of the casters (or wheels). They just look too small to move around an engine that is several hundreds of pounds. I would expect it to be much larger for that kinda of weight and ease of moving. I'd also have to question of the retractable feet would have been strong enough to keep such a heavy load from moving.

I really think it's a maintenance cart of some type. The plate with the multiple holes looks like it would be a great place to mount a vice or used to bend pipes with.

It's difficult to tell without knowing the dimensions, and 'weight' of the materials used in its construction. Apart from a maintenance platform, it reminds me of a catering trolley, possibly the type used fro replinshing airliners or, as I mentioned, a side-tipping cart as used in mining or laundries. It could very possibly be relatively modern, just dumped there with other 'scrap', as the person(s) dumping it would have thought.

Its not modern..it has a german id tag with Ln number..but it only reads Ln.. and the number is broken of ( i have posted picture of the tag )
so its 100% luftwaffe..

and yes..there is a bottle there.. looks like a guy has had a place to hide to play with some weed or something ( perfect hidingplace inside that thing )
for those that are into those things..i rather play with luftwaffe metarial
hehe

but i havent been there in a few days so i will take more pics when i get down there the next time around

Last edited:
when standing up the wagon is about my size ( i am 1.75meters ) adn its about 3 meters long i would guess.. i ahev studiet the pics..and to me its eems that the whole interios is turnable.. could it be a maintenence wagon for something..i also see attachmentholes in the inside steelbars that are turnable..maybe for overhaulin a engine..so one could turn it and get acsess to all sides..( and its made of solid steel the whole wagon ) so i think vkingberserker is onto something..made me think also and look more at the pics

when standing up the wagon is about my size ( i am 1.75meters ) adn its about 3 meters long i would guess.. i ahev studiet the pics..and to me its eems that the whole interios is turnable.. could it be a maintenence wagon for something..i also see attachmentholes in the inside steelbars that are turnable..maybe for overhaulin a engine..so one could turn it and get acsess to all sides..( and its made of solid steel the whole wagon ) so i think vkingberserker is onto something..made me think also and look more at the pics

Question for you GF, what aircraft where stations during the war at this airfield? It might help figure out what the cart was used for.

Is there some kinda of crank to raise and lower the top of the trailer. All I can see in the pictures are pins and holes which if you had an engine on it how would you be able to raise or lower it without a crank. I would hate to have to hold the top up with a engine on it to repostion it if the pins where at the wrong height as that would take raw people power without hydrolics or cranks and gears especially if the whole thing is made out of steel? Just the changing of the pins height would be a work out I would think.

All the best
Paul

there you are on to something.. this wagon get stranger and stranger
at this airfiled luftwaffe had all major repairs on all aircrafts stationed in norway during WW2
BMW also had its own building there.. so whatever luftwaffe aircraft that was in norway was at this airfield
during the war..

a picture of the airfield in 1945 just before the destruction of the aircrafts started.

Attachments

• diverse 021.jpg
    diverse 021.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
oh man if i lived there my hobby would be digging up LW ac parts!! maybe piecing one together! i am sure you can get a "permit" to do archeology.

some pics i took today of the mystery wagon.. i sure beats me

the sides are made from wood.on the top there is liftingpoints..

Attachments

• kjeller 008.jpg
    kjeller 008.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 169
  • kjeller 007.jpg
    kjeller 007.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 166
  • kjeller 005.jpg
    kjeller 005.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 170
  • kjeller 004.jpg
    kjeller 004.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 171
  • kjeller 003.jpg
    kjeller 003.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 167
and a few more..and also some pics from other parts laying around..the fueldrum has seen better days but 100% german

that wagon i just cant figure out..

Attachments

• kjeller 012.jpg
    kjeller 012.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 168
  • kjeller 013.jpg
    kjeller 013.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 170
  • kjeller 014.jpg
    kjeller 014.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 161
  • kjeller 015.jpg
    kjeller 015.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 162
  • kjeller 009.jpg
    kjeller 009.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 164
It's certainly a puzzle! I think it might be some sort of mobile workbench, maybe for a lathe or other machinery. It looks like the internal 'fame' swings out perhaps, and notice there are 'pedals' at the bottom. I've been searching lots of photos to see if I can spot one in a hangar or elsewhere, but nothing yet.

I think the center section is upside down as we can see it now and the two support struts swing out to form an A frame being held in place by the lip on the bottom tray.There is a mark on the bottom tray in pic.#3 of post #34. There are adjustable brackets with heavy duty supports on either side of the open frame in the middle. It is definatly a support cradle of some sort, but when whatever was held in place it would not be at a very practical height for working on it.

Its certainly a puzzle thats for sure. To bad GF I didnt live closer. I would hook a chain up to my truck and pull it out of the woods for you.

Looks like it was designed to hold something that could either be tipped out (coal cart or steel work fashion) or angled to work on, as a mobile work station.
Could be some sort of manufacture is involved, or possibly transportation of some substance that was loaded and unloaded in such fashion...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back