Myths and misinformations in 21st century (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Easy to see how it happens I guess.
Here's another book. Note the maximum weight for the Thunderbolt...

Image_0004.jpg

The early engines, V-1710-103, used on the 1st XB-42 prototype were with 1325 HP for take off, military rating of 1150 HP at 22400 ft; war emergency rating with use of water-alcohol injection ('wet') was 1820 HP. Max rpm 3200.
The V-1710-125 was rated for max rpm of 3200, that combined with 75in boost (dry? on 115/145 grade?) made 1675 HP for take off possible, with WER of 1900 HP on 75 in Hg 'wet'. Engine was spewing out oil when run more than 5 min on 75 in boost. Similar was the -129, used on the 1st flight of the second prototype.

There was also a V-1710-137 (four produced), with different pistons that brought compression ratio to 6:1, and take of power to 1790 HP on 100 in Hg, WER was supposed to use 100 in Hg of boost for the power unknown to me.

Easy to see how it happens I guess.
Here's another book. Note the maximum weight for the Thunderbolt...

View attachment 362086

Wow... 60,000 lbs, really? Must be all the extra lead in the high octane fuel.

I've seen this max weight vary a lot over different publications. From 13k to 17k and even 20k lbs. But 60k? They should have made it a strategic airlifter!

On an X-stage prototype you probably won't use maximum engine rpm/boost to prevent possible engine problems which may lead to the loss of a highly valuable aircraft. So the book author cited at Wiki may not be wrong.

By saying "Arab Army" are you referring to the Syrians, who deployed Panzer IV, Stug III, SdKfz 165 and Jagdpanzer IV tanks (along with some T-34s)?
The Battle of Abu-Ageila, Syrian forces had T34/85's and Su-100's vs Israeli Centurion, Super Sherman, and AMX-13. So, maybe not "superior." But to my point. It's not the equipment, it's the men using it that matters most. Case in point; the Battle of Arracourt, where German Panthers, Pz. Kpfw. IV's, Stug III's, went head-to-head against U.S. M4's, M5's (no match for anything the Germans fielded), and M18's. The Americans prevailed, in large part because of greater experience.

Last edited:
The web site airvectors.net, that talks about aircraft, says that AM-38 engine, as installed on the Il-2 Stormovik was without supercharger - that is not the case.
link

Wikipedia entry abou the A-W Whitley is wrong on the supercharging of the mighty Tiger VIII:

After the first 34 aircraft had been completed, the engines were replaced with the more reliable two-stage supercharged Tiger VIIIs. K7243, the 27th production Whitley, is believed to have served as a prototype following modifications.[6] The resulting aircraft, the first military aircraft in the world to take advantage of a two-stage supercharger, was designated as the Whitley Mk II.

2-speed, not 2-stage.

2 Speed......2 Stage........Hey, they both begin with "S". :lol:

sounds like a politician wrote the entry.

I would note that even using the "more reliable" 2 speed engines the Tiger powered Whitley's were banned from long over water flights once the Merlin powered versions started to show up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back