N.A. / Sud Aviation T-28S 'Fennec', 1/48th scale. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You're too kind chaps - it's not that good !
In fact, it's a bit rough in parts, compared to my usual standards. I'm having real problems getting my hands to work, and even picking up a tool from the bench is a major exercise - it's really p*ss*ng me off!!
Anyway, I've made in-roads with the gun pods, and I think they might work out reasonably well. They won't be totally accurate, but they should look acceptable, unless compared to a photo of the real thing.
Apologies for the poor photos - they were taken in a rush, in a combination of weird natural daylight and desk lamps, and the camera sensor does not like the green cutting mat!
PIC 1. The Hurricane tanks were first cemented together, and then the bands were removed, with the aid of a modelling chisel - and I've still got all my fingers!
PIC 2. Next step was to remove the unwanted plastic at front and rear, retaining the ends, which had already been roughly filed to shape.
PIC 3. A length of soft plastic tube was inserted into the tank body, to help reinforce the joints on the end pieces, and also to provide a 'base' for the gun barrels to rest in, once the slots have been drilled and shaped.
PIC 4. With both end 'caps' cemented in place, and the joints reinforced with 'superglue', the basic shape was created, involving lots of elbow grease with various files, followed by scraping and sanding, a number of unprintable phrases, and quite a bit of pain and discomfort!
PIC 5. The slots for the guns have been drilled and filed, and the ejector ports for the links and spent cases cut, along with the rear (gas relief?) vents. There's still a long way to go yet, and this is only one pod, but once the various apertures are perfected, and some more sanding done to improve the overall shape, the whole lot will receive a fine sanding, followed by polishing, before the blisters are added, and the panel lines and hatches engraved and deflectors and links chutes fabricated. The gun barrels will be added after painting.
That little lot, on one pod, took around ten hours, about three times as long as it should have taken, had my hands been working, so I'm now totally b*ll*xed, and going for a lie down!

Attachments

• Fennec build 170.jpg
    Fennec build 170.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 78
  • Fennec build 157.jpg
    Fennec build 157.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Fennec build 165.jpg
    Fennec build 165.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Fennec build 166.jpg
    Fennec build 166.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Fennec build 174.jpg
    Fennec build 174.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 83
Thanks Wojtek and Hugh. I hope to get some more done over the weekend, if my hands behave!

Thanks Vic and Andy. Didn't get anymore done, unfortunately. Darned hands wouldn't work at first, and then, when they started to behave, I got caught up sorting out things to send off to here, there and everywhere, which took longer than anticipated. Hopefully, I might get some done tomorrow - too darned tired now!

Hope your condition improves soon, Terry. It must be very frustrating for someone with your talents not to be able to progress your builds.

Gerry

Thanks Aviatik, and Gerry. I've been bale to do some small bits on the gun pods, and have started on the flaps, when the hands have behaved for a short time. Nothing much to show yet, but I'll post some pics, hands permitting, when there's more done.

Well, although I've been able to do a little more, the build has come to an enforced, temporary stall.
I had two, deep penetration steroid injections in the shoulder and rotator cuff yesterday, and have to rest the joint for a few days. This means no stress or strain at all, which definitely includes sanding, sawing, filing and other similar tasks.
So, apart from the initial work on the flaps, shown below, I'll have to leave this one for about a week. Meanwhile, I've started another, simple, OOB build, posted elsewhere, just to keep my enthusiasm alive.
The pics show the kit parts removed from the wing halves, and have been joined together, with a length of plastic tube in the open, 'hing' end. A test fit shows roughly how they will look when fitted, although the edges of the flap need to be blended with the tube, and end plates added to the outer flap edges.
Hopefully, I should be able to continue where I left off, sometime next week, when the model should be getting close to the initial painting stage.

Attachments

• Fennec build 177.jpg
    Fennec build 177.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Fennec build 179.jpg
    Fennec build 179.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back