Nakajima Ki-44 CGI Project

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the kind cooperation and advice, Wojtek and GG.
Thanks for the kind comment, Gnomey.

The wind tunnel building is not a museum. Time stops there as if nothing happened since 1945.
The wooden Ki-44 model was donated to National Museum of Nature and Science in Tokyo by the university.

National Museum of Nature and Science.JPG

You are welcome, Wojtek :)
I have had a good chance to research about the model better.

Great project Shinpachi, it looks good so far.

There are many drawings of the Ki-44 and they are all different and most of them are pretty inaccurate. I have done a lot of research on the Ki-44 because it's a bit like the Japanese Fw 190 (but with less guns!) and the only accurate set of drawings I found are those in Osprey's Aircraft of the Aces 100 Ki-44 TOJO Aces of World War 2 by Nicholas Millman. The drawings are made by Ronnie Olsthoorn, who also made a very realistic 3D model. You probably saw this: Aviation of Japan 日本の航空史: Ki-44 Restoration Flies Over Japan! It is not real of course :) see the date! The book is very good but if you don't have it then you can see his Ki-44 model here: Skyraider's 3D Aviation Art - Gallery - Aircraft 9 - Nakajima Ki-44 'Tojo'

You know JACAR has a Ki-44 manual? It has a lot of technical drawings. Search for A03032181800 on the JACAR site and you find it.

Thanks for the nice info and enjoying my work, Wuerger190 :)

This is an old story but I am the first guy who introduced the JACAR archives to Japanese aviation researchers in March, 2004 first and it spread to the world through J-Aircraft in the U.S. Taking this opportunity, I must appreciate Mr Jim Lansdale and Mr David Aiken for their cooperation and timely advice about what researchers always want.

And my work goes on :)

Thanks Merv for the kind comment!
You can check more Ki-44 wind tunnel model photos with these letters 鍾馗 風洞 :)

Ki-44_Google.JPG

Ki-44_Google.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks, Hugh!
This job is tough.

Retractor_01.JPG

Retractor_01.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for kind checking, Hugh :)

I heard this retracting device was a copy of Vought V-143's as well as for the Zero's.
The right sub-shaft seen is not straight but a crank so that it makes locking/unlocking firm and easy.
I think the designer was genius.

KI-44_retractor01.JPG

KI-44_retractor01.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Merv, Wayne and Dave!
I will need a few more days to complete the retractor but here is the drawings I used.

KI-44_retractor02.JPG

KI-44_retractor02.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back