Nakajima Ki-44 CGI Project

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You are welcome, Wojtek :)
I have had a good chance to research about the model better.

Great project Shinpachi, it looks good so far.

There are many drawings of the Ki-44 and they are all different and most of them are pretty inaccurate. I have done a lot of research on the Ki-44 because it's a bit like the Japanese Fw 190 (but with less guns!) and the only accurate set of drawings I found are those in Osprey's Aircraft of the Aces 100 Ki-44 TOJO Aces of World War 2 by Nicholas Millman. The drawings are made by Ronnie Olsthoorn, who also made a very realistic 3D model. You probably saw this: Aviation of Japan 日本の航空史: Ki-44 Restoration Flies Over Japan! It is not real of course :) see the date! The book is very good but if you don't have it then you can see his Ki-44 model here: Skyraider's 3D Aviation Art - Gallery - Aircraft 9 - Nakajima Ki-44 'Tojo'

You know JACAR has a Ki-44 manual? It has a lot of technical drawings. Search for A03032181800 on the JACAR site and you find it.

Thanks for the nice info and enjoying my work, Wuerger190 :)

This is an old story but I am the first guy who introduced the JACAR archives to Japanese aviation researchers in March, 2004 first and it spread to the world through J-Aircraft in the U.S. Taking this opportunity, I must appreciate Mr Jim Lansdale and Mr David Aiken for their cooperation and timely advice about what researchers always want.

And my work goes on :)

Thanks Merv for the kind comment!
You can check more Ki-44 wind tunnel model photos with these letters 鍾馗 風洞 :)

Ki-44_Google.JPG

Ki-44_Google.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for kind checking, Hugh :)

I heard this retracting device was a copy of Vought V-143's as well as for the Zero's.
The right sub-shaft seen is not straight but a crank so that it makes locking/unlocking firm and easy.
I think the designer was genius.

KI-44_retractor01.JPG

KI-44_retractor01.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Merv, Wayne and Dave!
I will need a few more days to complete the retractor but here is the drawings I used.

KI-44_retractor02.JPG

KI-44_retractor02.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back