Navy on Yorktown: Fix it or junk it

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Navy DOES care. They are prohibited by law from providing funds
to a museum. There are mysterious ways around this like the DoD part-
icipation in the drydocking of Missouri. I wish I knew how it worked and
I wish it could YKTN. My understanding is that Intrepid was drydocked
with private and State of NY money.

If the Navy was able to contribute funds, where would it ever stop. I am sure they would be contacted for funds every time every ship or museum needed repairs. I am sure that would get expensive very quickly, and put a another burden on a military budget that is all ready under scrutiny and in danger if being trimmed down. What about turning some of these more historically significant museums into historic or national landmarks? Would they not be eligible for some type of government help? And maybe the money is not there either though.

Setting a precedent by using federal funds can be a problem We have an overload of federal programs that all have a life of their own. I do wish the federal government had stepped in and saved the Enterprise. Perhaps the most outstanding war record of any ship from any country for all time.

Hmmm. Why not put some of my bailout tax dollars to good use and quit lining fatcat pockets with em?

Hmmm. Why not put some of my bailout tax dollars to good use and quit lining fatcat pockets with em?

Because that would make too much sense and be a great use of our tax payer dollars RA! :lol:

Plus, we cannot have that money taken away from the special interest groups, hate to see those guys miss out on the porkfest!

Those WWII memorial ships are valuable historical assets, but...there are just too many of them to support and maintain in the long run. I'm completely against spending federal money to maintain them unless the number of them is rationalized (ie reduced). Private orgs, localities and states chose to establish those museums, some (though not Yorktown) are not even particularly important ships, sometimes just because they were named for the state or locality. And I don't think bringing up other different cases of bad or excessive federal spending is a good counter argument. I'd probably agree with any criticism of federal waste you can name, but two wrongs don't make a right.

The Feds should either take over all of them as national parks and reduce the number to something sustainable in the long run, or not get involved. Realistically since the museums that can afford their ships for now won't turn them over, I think you at least wait until the number reduces by itself. For example I might support the last Essex being supported by the feds, but not Yorktown w/ Intrepid still around. Whichever of those the local museum can't afford, first, should just has to be allowed to go, IMO.

Joe

Yes,she is maintained by Texas Parks and Wildlife as a memorial at San Jacinto.The oldest steel warship afloat is the USS Olympia C6,moored at Penns Landing in Philadelphia,PA.Across the Delaware River in Camden,N.J. is the USS New Jersey BB62,the most decorated battleship in America with 16 Battle Stars,9-WWII,4-Korea,3-VN and Campaign Stars for Beirut,Lebanon and the Persian Gulf.

I agree with VB. If any ship of WW2 deserved to be preserved, it should have been Enterprise and that includes USS Texas. LOL

Yep!

I have a sincere reverence for naval vessels but I'm also practical. I've been on 3 carrier/museums and they were almost empty... practically devoid of visitors...refurbishing is only part of the expense. I doubt any of the museum/carriers afloat pay their way with admission tickets and special event rentals.

I honestly think spending her life as an artificial reef would be a noble end. Sink her in a area clear of shipping with her deck at 100 feet. She would continue to inspire and have a positive effect on the local eco-system and economy.

... and Sport fishermen and SCUBA divers!

trouble is, it would cost millions just to make her safe for sinking.

Last edited:
That's the trouble with today's economy,there is just not enough money.I think we need to put what resources we have into maintaining what we already have even though there are so many ships that should have been,could have been saved.Maybe we can convert some into office space,schools,community colleges,retirement homes,assisted living complexes,restaurants,hotels,condos,corporate HQ's,government agencies,veterans hospitals or care units and the like.At least we could preserve the structure while retaining some historical significances.By the way,I have always thought that all international government buildings,such as NATO in N.Y. and embassies in Wash.D.C. should be maintained in our retired warships of any size.This way we control the construction and can monitor and isolate as nessesary,just cut the moorings of troublesome partners,besides the awesome display of industrial mite.Sorry,got carried away there,maybe a subject for another thread...P.S. I do like the artificial reef and maybe a depository for the cremated remains of those that would like to become part of it...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back