Need Help Please ASAP!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great photos .AND HAVE YOU READ THIS BOOK ?it could be helpful:

B-17: Combat Missions: Fighters, Flak, and Forts: First-hand Accounts of Mighty 8th Operations Over Germany (Hardcover)
byMartin W. Bowman(Author)

Price: £19.99
Product details

Hardcover
Publisher:Greenhill Books (1 Aug 2007)
LanguageEnglish
ISBN-10:185367754X
ISBN-13:978-1-85367-754-0

contents

Foreword and Introduction
PART 1
history and debelopment
preparing for a mission
patt 2
the pilot and copilot
the navigator
the radio operator
the bombardier
the engineer/top turret gunner
the waist gunners
the ball-turret gunner
the tail gunner

part 3:
rest and recreaton

gollssary
biblography
picture credits and acknowledgments

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 29960872_6436.jpg
    29960872_6436.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 76
Whoa!!! Great interior shots in that book. I will have to look for a copy to use. Unfortunately, due to the size of the model, and some new dexterity problems the detail that I had originally thought to strive for will be next to impossible. I will update this with pictures as soon as I am able to. Keep checking back for the progress reports. As to the picture before that post of an in flight B-17, I think that it is a Model 299. It has the "blister turrets" in the radio position, and the forward turret is a bubble as was seen in the early 299 varient. Good shot though.

Though late on seeing this thread I thought Wurger and a few others may like this picture to study. I beleive this is a B-17B though if I remember right.

Hi,

I was sure I had seen the kind of camo of B-17 bomber before but I cannot recall myself where.But you guys are lucky men and I have recalled it myself.
The bomber is one of the Y1B-17s ( early B-17) that were delivered by Boeing to US Army in 1937.With these bombers the Second Bombardment Group came into being.The Commanding Officer was Lt. Col. Robert Olds who came under the General Headquarters Air Force.The cration of The first four-engine bomber unit in the USA was finished on 5th of April 1937.The main task of the 2nd BG was to compile from the beginning all practical rules of operational long range flights.All twelve Y1B-17s that were the equipment of the 2nd BG were flying all over the USA territory in all weather conditions.In 1938 the General Headquarters Air Force set up the anti-aircraft maneuvers.the Y1B-17s took part in this as wll with the new experimental camo scheme.

Here you are a colour profile I found in a book about B-17 with these used colours mentioned in its caption.

I hope I helped with this.

Attachments

• Y1B-17_2b.jpg
    Y1B-17_2b.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 71
You are correct Wurger, great follow up. I had found a couple of more pictures of that B-17. It is an interesting camo.

520516MA, Ive never seen that book either. I think Im going to have to check it out though I do have plenty of pictures on the inside of a B-17

Thanks Guys!!!!

Although I'm not interested in as bombers as fighters but I have been wonder if there were taken other shots of the Y1B-17s with the camo.Great info Mic....Could you upload them here?

Although I'm not interested in as bombers as fighters but I have been wonder if there were taken other shots of the Y1B-17s with the camo.Great info Mic....Could you upload them here?

Here you go Wurger, from the book B-17 flying fortress part 2 by Monografi Lotnicze vol 91

Attachments

• B-17B.jpg
    B-17B.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 64
Thank you very much to both of you. Consequently, I heard some more information on the only early B-17 that survived the scrapyards after the war, it is called the Swoose and is located in Maryland. Another member actually gave me the link, you can find it under my thread that I started. I really appreciate your help. It's funny you should mention that movie, Njaco, I used to love watching that movie an awful lot. Even though it was more of a propaganda film that showed aircraft in use before they were even produced. I was actually thinking of painting the kit olive drab and finding some way to paint "Mary Ann" on the side fuselage. In fact I just recorded it again, the copy my dad had wore out from over use.

That particular B-17 was MacArthur's 'official transport B-17D'..

I have seen it at first at Andrews AFB and later Silver Hill and much to my shame put a hole in left horizontal stabilizer in 1958 whatever size shoe a 12-13 year old would have. It was locked up and I wanted to get in through radio hatch. The Enola Gay and an obscure B-46 and P-61 were parked at Andrews awaiting transport to Silver Hill Smithsonian facility. I forgot about fabric covering and too stupid to figure out I shouldn't have tried even with .020 - .030 aluminum skin.

I fessed up to the Curator in 1984 - and it was still there, they had not started working on yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back