Need Help Please ASAP!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Blue Yonder

Airman 1st Class
Jun 8, 2008
Upstate New York
I just started building an Academy 1/72 scale B-17 C/D and noticed that there were four seats located in the cockpit. I think of myself as an airplane fanatic, and the B-17 was my all time favorite heavy bomber of World War Two, but I never remember reading or seeing a picture of a B-17 cockpit with four seats in it. Any help would be extremely appreciated. Pictures of any B-17 C's or D's would also be nice. Thanks.

Blue Yonder: I flew in PB-1's in the Navy, back in the '50's. This is a Navy
version of a B-17. We did not have four seats in the cockpit. I don't recall
what model B-17 we had, because they had no weapons or turrets. The
radioman and the navigator sat behind a small bulkhead several feet behind
the pilot/co-pilot. Maybe someone on the forum knows something I don't.

Charles

Blue Yonder: I flew in PB-1's in the Navy, back in the '50's. This is a Navy
version of a B-17. We did not have four seats in the cockpit. I don't recall
what model B-17 we had, because they had no weapons or turrets. The
radioman and the navigator sat behind a small bulkhead several feet behind
the pilot/co-pilot. Maybe someone on the forum knows something I don't.

Charles
You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of your plane would you? Also, not to sound like a little child, but what was it like flying in a B-17?
-Pete

Blue, you sure you're not missing that bulkhead that Charles is talking about? If you check through the Aviation Photos section or some of the museum threads I remember some interior pics of B-17s.

Blue, you sure you're not missing that bulkhead that Charles is talking about? If you check through the Aviation Photos section or some of the museum threads I remember some interior pics of B-17s.
I looked at the instructions to double check and see whether it was the result of a missing part, but it says that the bulkhead goes behind the second set of seats. This is a C/D varient, and I have been extremely unsuccessful at finding any interior views of this variation. The kit was made overseas, along with the instructions, maybe they messed up the whole kit's cockpit design? It's really hard for me to figure out the inside, mainly because there are no B-17 C/D's around today. Only F's, G's, and E's (and the other variations)

Hi BY,

I think Academy is right.I have found these pics in "In detail scale" publication about B-17 Flying Fortress - part1.
I hope these will make it clear.

Attachments

• B17 cockpit front.jpg
    B17 cockpit front.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 158
  • B17 cockpit rear.jpg
    B17 cockpit rear.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 165
Oh, noticed it after I thanked you. Sorry. Have you ever seen any color images of an early B-17 C? I read somewhere that there was only a single C variant and it was not airworthy, you wouldn't know anything about that would you?

Hi again.
Unfortunately, no I haven't.But as memory serves all the US early Flying Fortress were of bare metal colour mostly.There were rudders and fins painted only.TLater it is possible these were paited with Olive Drab on upper surfaces and Natural Grey on undersides.These early B-17s that served in RAF were metal finished initially.But later these were painted with RAF camo scheme.I have found some examples of these.I hope these will help you a bit.

As far as being of the C verion airworthy is concerned.To be honest bombers aren't my favourite aircraft but I've read somewhere that the B-17C was equipped with more machine guns, self-sealing fuel tanks, more armor plating, up-rated engines, etc.. than B-17B.Even though all these increased the weight of the "C" model to 49,650 pounds, the installation of the 1,200 Wright Cyclones made the B-17C capable of 320 MPH, the fastest of all B-17 variants. So I think that the variant was a good bomber rather.Of course it was one of whole serie of B-17 and as a one of the first variants had like all aircraft some "child's" problems.

Attachments

• B17C AM528 40-2064 RAF 1941.jpg
    B17C AM528 40-2064 RAF 1941.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 90sqn RAF WP-H AN519 40-2044.jpg
    90sqn RAF WP-H AN519 40-2044.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 124
  • B-17C  88th RS 7th BG(or 38th RS,19th BG.jpg
    B-17C 88th RS 7th BG(or 38th RS,19th BG.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 130
Thank you very much to both of you. Consequently, I heard some more information on the only early B-17 that survived the scrapyards after the war, it is called the Swoose and is located in Maryland. Another member actually gave me the link, you can find it under my thread that I started. I really appreciate your help. It's funny you should mention that movie, Njaco, I used to love watching that movie an awful lot. Even though it was more of a propaganda film that showed aircraft in use before they were even produced. I was actually thinking of painting the kit olive drab and finding some way to paint "Mary Ann" on the side fuselage. In fact I just recorded it again, the copy my dad had wore out from over use.

Thank you to all. Including your help and several Air Power, Aviation History, and a B-17 Flying Fortress book I have found all the research I need to complete this model. I'm not very good at model building but I will post pictures on here to show everyone how it is coming along. Thanks all!!!

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of your plane would you? Also, not to sound like a little child, but what was it like flying in a B-17?
-Pete

Pete:

Didn't see this til today. We had two PB-1's at NAS NorVa in 1951. One was
configured for VIP transport, the other for Search Rescue, with a big
lifeboat tucked under the belly. I flew both as a radioman. I found them to
be very noisy, and almost always bumpy. We had no turrets or weapons,
and usually flew with a crew of five... six on the VIP unit. Pilot, Co-pilot,
Radioman, Navigator and Crew Chief. The VIP unit flew with a steward,
was heated, and very plush.

Charles

Though late on seeing this thread I thought Wurger and a few others may like this picture to study. I beleive this is a B-17B though if I remember right.

Attachments

• B-17.jpg
    B-17.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 122

Users who are viewing this thread

Back