Need P38 Undercarriage

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I,ve just got the Academy 1/48th P38J Lightning. (nice kit!) and found that one of the main gear legs is snapped at the wheel axle and scissor link. Just spent about two hours searching the net and magazines for a white metal replacement, without success. Does anyone know where I can get white metal, or other media, landing gear for this in the U.K., and, if so, the name of the manufacturer? Here's hoping, thanks.

Could try too Lucky, but think the metal might make it more sturdy, plus, I've got a bit of a deadline, as I want to use the model to help in 'poses' for another painting. I've just taken a closer look at the offending part, and I MAY be able to rescue it, will have to tr. But thanks for the suggestion mate. Terry.

Anytime buddy! I only thought about it as can't ever remember seeing a white metal or any other media....of the P-38 landing gear.

I think there was one a few years back, but I might be getting confused with 1/32 scale, or wheels even. Not to worry, Ill persevere and if it doesn't work, then it's letter to Korea time....
Thanks again, have a good weekend in Glasgow and try not to use up the city's supply of beer.....!!!!

Had many a good night in Glasgow, used to get there for about 3 or 4 days at least once a month with my old job. Retired through disability now though, so don't get about as much. Trying to decide whether to carry on painting the current picture tonight, or go to the pub. Hmm........!?

Do you have any small drill bits?
You could try drilling out both ends of the broken pieces and gluing in a small metal pin cut from a paper clip....done this before a few times to fix broken undercarriage legs!

Looks like we're all thinking the same... I drilled it and pinned it at two o' clock this morning! Now got to finish trimming off the 'canvas' cowl over the instrument panel, thank heavens for mini-drill circular saws!

Wayne, you should be an engineer. I was just thinking the same thing.

Looks like we're all thinking the same... I drilled it and pinned it at two o' clock this morning! Now got to finish trimming off the 'canvas' cowl over the instrument panel, thank heavens for mini-drill circular saws!

Great minds think alike!:D

...You see I usually break mine after a model is finished and I'm checking it over to make sure all is Ok....Boy do I go friggin' nuts when I break something!!:evil:

Even though my models look better broken :lol:

I dig Waynes feeling loud and clear. Its that moment of 'i havent just done that have ?...."

And then the fireworks start lol :D

Great minds think alike!:D

I agree with Wayne. :D Besides the method of repairing is well known among modellers.
There is my example of the way.I have had to make new landing gear legs for my Bf109F.These are still under construction but I had to make them longer and used other parts in order to look better.

Attachments

• legs1.jpg
    legs1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 77
  • legs2.jpg
    legs2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 90
  • legs3.jpg
    legs3.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 87
  • legs4.jpg
    legs4.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 82
  • legs5.jpg
    legs5.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 87
  • legs6.jpg
    legs6.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 74
  • legs7.jpg
    legs7.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 75
Yep, with some additionall corrections these should look like the BF109F landing gear legs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back