Need your help, please! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have an amazing library but unfortunaly about 350 of my books are still at my mothers house in boxes until I find the time to go and get them. I only have 57 military books here at my place with only about 40 of them beeing WW2 aviation. I basically took my favorites with me when I moved and will get the rest later.

Susan said:
Thanks for your help and replies but I think I'll stick with the spitfire. I've done some research and have some reading to do. I'll have more details soon.
Tucker

Hello Susan and Tucker,

I am a North Florida native from Pensacola. The comments about the museum at the Pensacola Naval Air Station is a good one. You should make time to see it sometime. There maybe a good musuem at Eglin AFB in Fort Walton Beach too. Of course if you live in Jacksonville that is still a long way to go.

I think your selection of Spitfire is a good one. Many people have heard about it but few have a lot of detail (in America). Also, I think your best resource would be the internet since local libraries may be short of Spitfire books. You might could order a book and some people on this site could recommend some good ones.

This site does tend to get sidetracked but the knowledge available here is amazing. In fact, if you did a search on spitfire on this site, you would probably find some interesting data.

Good luck!

I was wondering if you had any good tragedies that I could use. A lot of the information is focusing on triumphs and technical configurations of the airplane.

Thanks! Tucker

Anyone have any information on pilot losses of the spitfire protege used in the Snyder Trophy races? Perhaps detailing some of these daring exploits related to the pre-spit configuration with dual floats leading up the first Mk. I'm not an expert in this area of the Spit development, but surely someone here is.

What about some of the tragic loss of British Spits during the Battle of Britain intercepts? Many more are more knowledgeable than I am, but certainly there were squadrons that suffered signficant loss of attrition in that most knoble or knoble fights.

i wouldn't call the Schneider Trophy races a tragedy for the spit :lol: in fact the races had little to do with the actual spitfire..........

and it's very hard to think of a real Spitfire Tragedy.............

Aww Lanc. Are you telling him that his choice of the Spit is now the wrong choice? I would say that there are lots of tragedies in war irrespective of the tools of war. It is all how you spin it. I recognize the Schneider Trophy races did not include Spits, however the Trophy race airplane was the precursor of the Spit was what is spawned that lovely airplane. If he focuses not upon any particular tragedy associated with the Spitfire, but rather how tragic it is that such a marvel of engineering spawned from mankinds drive for greater and greater speeds resulted in the loss of life in Spitfire development (racing deaths), flight testing experimental models and ultimately by pilots on both sides of the war. That is truly tragic, to realize an engineering dream spawned from man's desire to master the natural world results in one of the worlds most efficient killing machines. This tragic irony could then be juxtaposed with the ultimate good that the Spitfire afforded the hardy people of England, the aviation community in general and ultimately the world.

Hey. Just some thoughts from across the pond.

Tucker - At some point you gonna have to start putting pen to paper. I would suggest you formulate an outline and perhaps share that for comments. That might help you and the forum participants narrow their scope and have a better understanding of your intended audience sophistication.

wait a minute how could i possibly forget the biggest spitfire tragedy- the fact that Mitchell never lived to see his machine become the legend it did!

how about the dieppe battle, or the period after the BoB? from my book, the new Bf-109F and Fw-190s from the squadrons like JG26 kicked alot of Spitifre *** during that time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back