New B24 and B25

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DBII

Senior Master Sergeant
Oct 16, 2007
Conroe, Texas
Enjoy guys. As usual, we had a little rain so the lighting is not the best.

DBII

Attachments

• 0915083-R1-027-12.jpg
    0915083-R1-027-12.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 0915083-R1-035-16.jpg
    0915083-R1-035-16.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 0915083-R1-045-21.jpg
    0915083-R1-045-21.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 0915083-R1-051-24.jpg
    0915083-R1-051-24.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 0915083-R1-047-22.jpg
    0915083-R1-047-22.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 0915084-R1-005-1.jpg
    0915084-R1-005-1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 0915084-R1-021-9.jpg
    0915084-R1-021-9.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 183
  • 0915083-R1-043-20.jpg
    0915083-R1-043-20.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 173
The plane was formerly Dimond Lil, 98th BG, 9th AF. The CAF has finished a major restoration project and renamed her. She is a LB30/B24A model and number 18 of 20 made for Great Britian but was never delivered. After a crash, she was rebuilt as a transport. Consolidated used her through out the war making runs between California and Texas. She has the British serial number AM-927.

Thanks DBII, great pics. I've never seen a tail turret like that either.

Did you take any pics of the japanese planes in the background? I'd like to see them too.

I do not know what I like better, the tail gun, the belly gun or the sliding doors for the tail gun and sliding windows for the pilot. High tech at it's finest. The birds in the back ground are the Torra birds. Houston's airshow has a big turnout of Tora birds. I will see if I have any shots on CD and will post them.

Very nice photo's - the wet tarmac really adds some atmosphere.
BTW, that B-25 was mine way back in 1973. I bought her from
a dentist who was no longer able to fly, in West Point, Virginia.
So nice to see her still in the air!!! And looking younger than me, by far!!!

I'm assuming all these planes are CAF? (being from Texas and all :lol: ) My father volunteered for the CAF back in the early 90s and set-up some demostration flights at airshows around South Jersey and such. They gave him a little plaque that he treasured.

Great pics!

The B24A belongs to the CAF. The B25 is from the Lone Star Flight Museum (LSFM) in Galveston Tx. The plane was named Special Delivery and in Navy markings. The museum's focus is no longer the Pacific. When it came time for repairs and repainting, the museum started looking for a unit that was not currently represented. LSFM approached the Doolittle Raider Assocation and received premission to use their logo. LSFM wanted to honor all of the Raiders and not just one plane so they kept to plane's name Special Delivery.

Twoeagles, what markings did she have when you had her? I may have an old B&W photo of her then.

DBII

Twoeagles, what markings did she have when you had her? I may have an old B&W photo of her then. DBII

She was originally a B-25J-32 with solid nose and eight .50's up front, but modified by Hayes to TB-25N configuration around 1953. She was registered in Limited category as N9090Z when I bought her. I sold her to Doug Hazel in Warrenton, VA, who started a complete restoration and secured a glass nose and upper turret. It really goes to show how many lives these great old ladies can have, and thankfully so.

The B25 is a family favorite. My great uncle flew them in the 13th AF. He died in a C47 crash after the war. They were caught in a thunder storm and hit a mountain in NC. When I find a extra million, I will pick up a B25 and paint her in Russian markings. Thanks for sharing the history of the plane.

DBII

I will be at the Lone Star Flight Museum's Fly In this weekend. They will be rolling out a new Hurricane. This is the third or fourth time they have announced the appearance of the plane. I hope to have the pictures posted early next week.

DBII

I had the pleasure of 'working' the B-24 as a controller when she was Diamond 'Lil. She trundled over to the UK for the 50th anniversary of the arrival/formation of the Mighty Eighth in 1992 (was it THAT long ago?) at RAF Honington in Suffolk. We were 'invited' by the powers-that-be to hold an Air Display to celebrate the event, despite the fact that RAF Mildenhall 8 miles down the road held a rather large (!) annual event anyway and this would be within 2 weeks of our 'date'.

More importantly, Honington is not well served by road access and we anticipated major traffic problems when 'the word' got out and the Public got to hear; how right we were! We were delighted (and horrified!) to see various ex-8th AF guys arrive in their Winnebago's (sic) from the States 2 DAYS before the event and camp outside! That's when we know were going to have some logistical problems; if the Jungle Telegraph was working that effectively to the US of A, then we were going to be inundated by UK 'Anoraks'! And so it proved.

Despite not having any sort of previous Unit Air Display Plan to dust off or warm-over, the day was absolutely great. P-51s, a newly refurbished P-38 flown by the late 'Hoof' Proudfoot, Sally B of course, C-47, BBMF and sundry modern day hardware made for a really good time with a flying programme that lasted 4-5 hrs. Only a P-47 was missing to make up the 8th'sWarbird set.

Unfortunately, Diamond 'Lil went unserviceable at the moment critique and couldn't appear, much to everyone's disappointment. However, she spent the rest of the summer providing 'air experience' flights around the UK especially in East Anglia and that's when I got to work her; funny how she always got routed to overfly the airfield…... Lovely sight, wonderful sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back