New From Texas

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dilbert

Recruit
Jul 27, 2010
Austin, TX
Just discovered this site while searching for NATOPS Manuals of some of the a/c I flew (all antiques by now, like me). Very impressed on my first stroll around, lots to look at and read. Fascinating site!

Many thanks for all the welcomes.

I live in Austin, Texas where it is a very hot and humid summer. I have recently retired and am enjoying time to myself.

I flew in the U S Navy in the mid-60's and 70's, all piston-engined aircraft, round engines and round dials. In training I flew the T-34B (piston, not the C model turbo), the T-28 B and C (C models have the tailhook) and carrier qualified in '28's, and the Grumman S-2 Tracker, a mid-sized (about the dimensions of a B-25) twin engine aircraft in which I also carrier qualified. I went on to fly the Lockheed P-2 Neptune in the fleet, an aircraft with similar dimensions to a B-17 with two piston engines (Wright 3350's, the same engine as the B-29) and two J-33 jet engines for good measure outboard of the pistons. As we used to say, "two turnin', two burnin'." All long since sent to the knackers yard to be broken up or in a few museums which is where I probably belong.

As mentioned in my intro I stumbled across this site Googling a NATOPS manual for the T-28 which led me to this site. I am overwhelmed by what is here and am delighted to be one of the guys now. Thanks so much for your kind words. I promise to behave myself.

You don't have to behave yourself. Your from Austin so you have to be weird! hahaha

If you don't get that, there is a slogan to "Keep Austin Weird"

Welcome to the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back