New Member looking for some help

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sabotg

Recruit
Aug 8, 2008
I was wondering if there are resources available to match WW2 airmen to their particular aircraft. I have a friend who's grandfather flew a P-47 in WW2 and he's not doing to well health wise. We are working on compiling information to go along with a video we are trying to make for his grandchildren before he passes. Is there any kind of resource that can match an airmen's name with his particular aircraft and determine what happened to said aircraft after the war? If anyone can give me some pointers I'd appreciate it. I'm sure the goverment has this type of information somewhere and it would be nice to find this out before he passes. Many Thanks for your replies.

Hi,

I think there can be some ways to find out it .For instance if the guy flown the aircraft, there should be his pilot's (log) book where you should find a serial of all aircraft he flown, datas of flights etc....Another way is to know a number of the unit(s) where the man served in.It would be nice if the area where the unit was used operational would be known aswell.These are some pointers you can use for your researches I think.

Thanks Wurger. I'll check with his daughter to see if he has an original logbook. I'll also work on finding out what unit he was with.

I was wondering if there are resources available to match WW2 airmen to their particular aircraft. I have a friend who's grandfather flew a P-47 in WW2 and he's not doing to well health wise. We are working on compiling information to go along with a video we are trying to make for his grandchildren before he passes. Is there any kind of resource that can match an airmen's name with his particular aircraft and determine what happened to said aircraft after the war? If anyone can give me some pointers I'd appreciate it. I'm sure the goverment has this type of information somewhere and it would be nice to find this out before he passes. Many Thanks for your replies.

If you find out the guy's unit, then you can check the unit history at the Air Force Historical Research Agency at Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, Alabama, where such records are stored. In most cases, you can purchase the unit history on microfilm. The unit history will tell who flew on what missions and what airplane (by serial number) they flew on the mission. You will find that guys flew several airplanes during the course of a combat tour. Good luck with your research. TonyM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back