Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IMG_20201028_053933.jpg

Looks like it Jan. It has the 21 victory tally shown in the pic I posted but I would question the camo scheme shown.

Also, if our OP wants to model the aircraft as it appeared on the night that his uncle was shot down, I would suggest that it would have likely carried 13 victory tallies, given that his uncle's Lanc was victim No. 14. Thanks for the link showing his victory list.

Thank you all for your help on this. Can I take it that the dot in the centre of the swastikas' is because it might offend someone?
Brian

Yes it is. In some countries the printing of swastika is considered as the popularization of the nazi symbol. As a result , such behaviour is forbidden there. To be allowed to trade there , many decal manufacturers print the marking split into a couple of pieces. In the case a modeller has to put them together while applying on models. For decal instructions either dots or squares are used.

Many thanks to all for the help on this one.
Now another! What would be the best kit to use and what are the best decals?
I would also like to build a Mk1 Lancaster in 207 squadron RAF markings but the information on colour scheme on that is much easier to come by with the exception of the colour of the identity codes. I've read somewhere that it could be white or grey. Does anyone have info on that?
Brian

First you need to decide on scale. A 1/48 Ju88C-6 is pretty large and if you want to keep the Lancaster in the same scale, then you are looking at even larger. 1/72 may be more reasonable but I don't know the best of what's available.

You might get more input if you start a new, dedicated thread on this topic.

I found this information on another site;
In the following photograph Prince Heinrich zu Sayn-Wittgenstein appears next to a primitive Junkers Ju 88, whose tail indicates the 29 aircraft which he had destroyed in that time, circa May 1942. His record of 83 aircraft destroyed during night time could be surpassed only after his death.
prince_heinrich_zu_sayn-wittgenstein.jpg

The date is wrong. He scored his FIRST victory in May 1942. Your uncle's plane was his 14th in July 1942. This picture is later than the one I posted showing 21 tallies and appears to be a different aircraft (note the mottle finish vs the splinter scheme on on the pic I posted).

The date is wrong. He scored his FIRST victory in May 1942. Your uncle's plane was his 14th in July 1942. This picture is later than the one I posted showing 21 tallies and appears to be a different aircraft (note the mottle finish vs the splinter scheme on on the pic I posted).
Yet again thanks for your help. I'll do it in splinter camo with 13 tallies and the early radar.
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back