New....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Out2gtcha

Recruit
Mar 7, 2009
Omaha, NE
Brand new to the forum and just looking for fellow aviation modelers to share/trade teniques, pictures of builds, ect....

I ususally concentrate on 1/48 1/32 WWII up to and through Korea - Viet Nam era props and occasional jets.

Lately I have been studying under a master foil modeler who has tuned my addiction to natural metal subjects in that range.

Anyone else ever do any foiling?

Hello. Waaaayyyyy back before foil was available I did a P-51 using the aluminum foil that was laminated to chewing gum wrappers, believe it or not. It was very thin - less than a mil - and could be carefully removed and put on the model using the hi-wicking Ambrol liquid glue. It was a lot of painstaking work and because the foil from the wrappers was small I had to use 1/72nd scale. It turned out okay but in the end mixing silver paint with other "tinting" colors and post-paint silver buff pencil effects were just as effective and less of a PITA. Plus, foil bruises and tears easily so a surgeon's touch was needed throughout the build of that P-51. I haven't used current foil applications. I'd like to see that process you're using. Producing a scale-looking naturally weathered aluminum airframe is a challenging thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back