Newbie says hi and a quick Beaufighter question (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tigerdriver

Staff Sergeant
Sep 20, 2010
Norwich UK
www.seloc.org
Hi

I cant see a newbie bit in the modelling section here so i thought i would stop lurking and say hi with a question.

Rather overwhelmed by the knowledge and talent on display here, may be a while before i show a pic of my efforts

I have bought a few kits of ebay to get back into all this and try and remember how to make a kit

Thrown together a 1/48 spit badly and will try a airfix 1/48 hurricanr next

However the kit i am really up for is a 1/48 Beaufighter that postman pat dropped off today and i was checking through the colours i will need

I am really confused about the colour of the front of the engine cowls/ exhaust collectors. Lots of the pics i have found in a quick google show it to be finished in a bright copper , but that just looks wrong and unlikely ... I have read a few references that these were infact a gunmetal / steel sort of colour that coloured up with use a bit like a race car exhaust. This sounds more likely than copper ...

So my first of possibly millions of questions chaps

They were made from steel, the effect of heat eventually turned them a dark bronze colour, something like an old copper coin.

Thanks everyone

I may wait until i have got through my initial " epic fail" phase before i post up any pics

I seem to have accidently bought 2 more kits this isnt good lol

Ha, I've recently got hold of a 1:48 Beaughfighter kit and I was wondering what colour that was meant to be and was going to ask that question myself, now I know.

With regard to colours, I did find this (and printed myself a copy), with reference to all the various colour schemes of Beaufighters in the various different services, which I think you'll agree is an excellant resource.

Camouflage markings - Bristol Beaufighter (Part 1)
Camouflage markings - Bristol Beaufighter (Part 2)

c/o Rick Kent, of IPMS Stockholme

Last edited:
Welcome from 'Up North' TD.
If you want a rough idea of what the Beau collector rings looked like in use, have a look at my Beau in the MTO Group Build threads. This is done as an approximation, as the appearance could vary slightly, depending on climate, which unit etc. For example, in the Far east, they were often over-painted, which chipped and peeled.
The thread might also help with ideas for the interior and colours etc.

I'll throw this out there if for no other reason than to critique the colour. The pic below is from a museum-restored Bollingbroke (Canadian built Blenheim) which has a similar engine arrangement to the Beaufighter. The cowl is no doubt painted but others may comment as to whether it could be an accurate representation for the colour you're trying to achieve.

Attachments

• IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 155
thanks for the welcome and help guys and girls .

the colours suggested do look a lot more sensible than the bright copper colour i have seen suggested elsewhere

incase anyone wonders why i have such a daft user name ,i play with one of these at the weekends in the summer

its a hobie tiger . . .

the modelling should keep me busy when the weather stops play and be a little more relaxing too :)

Attachments

• HobieSurf1.jpg
    HobieSurf1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 142
The pic Andy posted (Crimea River) is a great example of what the collector ring looked like, but bear in mind the tones would be variated due to the effects of heat and wear.
That Tiger thingy is a boat type of thing ! You get wet in boats, and they bounce around on wet stuff! Silly - get up in the air, where it's dry !!! (had enough of wet - it's not stopped p*ss*ng down here nearly all year !!!)

weather here hasnt been much better , hence i need to get an indoor pursuit

think i will save the beau until i have got my basic technique a little less rusty

i seem to have a " stash" of my own now

hurricane , ju87, mosquito, beaufighter and f4u corsair all in 1/48 !!

And on a Gladiator. The engine on this one had been running about 30 minutes before the pics were taken.
Notice the different tones in the metal, and the overall dull colour.

Attachments

• Czech 027.jpg
    Czech 027.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Czech 028.jpg
    Czech 028.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 122
I never could figure out why the paint instructions on a number of models said to paint it brass/gold.

Thanks for the education!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back