Old Buckenham 2022

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers, Karl, the times that I've seen the Falcons jump they've done so from Hercs, although I went to an airshow in Scotland once where they jumped from a Short 330.

Don't know who's Dornier, but it had a Union Jack on the rear fuselage side, and a Canadian registration. I'll post a pic when I get home.
I reckon defence cuts have really hit home here, when even the Falcons have to hire a private aircraft. The few Hercs are reserved in order to carry the entire British Army in one lift - but only Tuesday's to Thursday;s, before 17.00 hrs !!!

Here's that Dornier, Canadian registered, with "The Falcons" name on the side. So, a German aircraft, Canadian registered, dropping British parachutists over a former American air base in England - quite something !!
I'm still sorting my pics from the show, and it's taking bl**dy ages, as they've downloaded all mixed up and out of sequence, presumably due to a recent Win 10 up-date !!
But, I'm getting there, if somewhat slowly, so I'll start posting in the next day or two.

Trav 13.jpg

There hangs the problem - they're all the same date !
For some reason, they'd only load via "One Drive", and not the usual system I've used for years, and that took a long time !
As an example of how haphazard the loading was, there are pics of the Eurofighter Typhoon, followed by a couple of pics of another "act", then more of the Typhoon, and so on - very annoying !
Consequently, I'll probably select suitable pics to post, but not in the display sequence, and I hope to start posting very soon.

OK, so a slow start after the frustration of trying to sort the pics and get them into some sort of order, but her we go.

First off, a little bit of info about the venue. Old Buckenham in Norfolk, UK, was the airfield used by the B-24's of the 453rd Bomb Group, 8th USAAF, and was where the actor James Stewart was based during WW2. Today, part of the main runway and some of the original hardstanding areas are used by the local Aero Club and private owners, with the remainder of the field being grass. Not much of the wartime structures remain, but there is a small museum in an original Nissen hut. The field is only a 20 minute drive from where my caravan is based, and this was our first visit to what turned out to be a very well organised display, both in the air, and on the ground, with excellent traffic management, no hold ups, and extremely helpful and friendly ground staff, including the Air Cadets from 1986 Sqn, ATC. The organisers even laid on yellow London cabs to transport disabled visitors (and their wheel chairs / mobility scooters ) from the disabled parking area to the entrance gate, and although a relatively small field, the atmosphere, ground attractions and stalls, along with the flying displays themselves, were every bit as good as larger venues such as Duxford - and ticket prices were a lot less also !
Definitely a worthwhile air show, similar in its relaxed, "garden party" atmosphere to the Oostwold, Holland show we attended with Marcel back in 2017and now firmly on the list for the coming years.

I've already posted a few "taster" shots in my "Travels of Tel's Tin Tent" thread and, as mentioned there, I was having some focusing and shutter release problems with my main camera with the 300mm zoom lens, resulting in some "missed" shots, and a few not quite in focus. This turned out to be a problem with the remote trigger on the pistol grip, a problem which was not identified until almost half way through the show, when I then had to resort to the somewhat awkward use of the "normal" shutter button, whilst holding the camera and stock by the forward pistol grip, hence the relatively poor quality of some of the shots to follow in the coming posts.
Anyway, on with the first sets of pics, and as Karl mentioned, the RAF Falcons Parachute Display Team opened the show, jumping at fairly low level from a Dornier, and putting on a great display, landing in an almost perfect line abreast on the target area, with the "flag carrier" brining up the rear, in a pretty stiff wind. Due to the aforementioned problems, I missed the exit shots, nicely covered by Karl, and only took a few of the formation and landing, a couple of which are shown here.
The B-17 "Sally B" was on next, but as mentioned, my pics have inexplicitly loaded way out of sequence, so the next few shots show the Eurofighter Typhoon II, in this year's display colours, against a rather dull sky at the time. This did its first pass at 700 knots, before continuing with rolls, loops, stall turns etc and, although quite impressive, I thought it lacked the impact of earlier RAF fast jet types such as the Lightning, Phantom and Jaguar, although it seemed to ne the main attraction, as quite a number of people started to leave after its display !

Anyway, enough of the blabber from me, and on with the first sets of pics.

OB 01.jpg
OB 02.jpg
OB 1.jpg
OB 2.jpg
OB 3.jpg
OB 4.jpg
OB 5.jpg
OB 6.jpg
OB 7.jpg
Trav 3.jpg

Amazing shots Terry. Typhoon looks great and I get your drift re the aircraft not quite pitching up to the Lightning, phantom or Tornado. To be honest, though I've not seen a real Typhoon, to me they always sort of look a bit Dinky toyish (my, I'm showing my age). :D

It certainly is, but a shame conditions were a trifle dull during its display.
Anyway, I've just realised that it's 03.00 hrs here, having been messing about editing shots for so long, so the last batch for now, with Duxford-based B-17G "Sally B" providing her usual smooth display, and the Harvard pair taking off to form up for their display, both of these also being based at Duxford.
More to come soon .............................

OB 8.jpg
OB 9.jpg
OB 10.jpg
OB 11.jpg
OB 12.jpg
OB 13.jpg
OB 14.jpg
OB 15.jpg
OB 16.jpg

Great stuff Terry. My only visit to Duxford in 19**, an amazing place even then, they had B-17 parked in all the corners awaiting the day they could one flying. :D

Yakety Yak !

Three Yaks performed a formation aerobatics routine, with two of the Yak-52 trainers, and a fully aerobatic Yak-18T cabin monoplane, with the display dedicated to the Ukraine, with that country's flag flying between the Union Jack and Stars and Stripes on the control tower.
Billed as "The Future of Flight", and believed to be the world's first air show display by an electric aircraft, the Velis passed overhead with hardly a sound, quite interesting to see, but strange to watch an almost silent, powered aircraft !
I meant to post the final pic in this group earlier, showing the layout at Old Buckenham.
Still lots more to come .......................

OB 28.jpg
OB 29.jpg
OB 30.jpg
OB 31.jpg
OB 32.jpg
OB 33.jpg
OB 34.jpg
OB 35.jpg
OB 36.jpg
OB 37.jpg
OB map.jpg

A Spitfire and "Messerschmitt" dogfight took place under a low cloud base, with Maxie Ganze's lovely Mk.VIII Spitfire, and a "Buchon" flown by Steve Jones ( who I met at Sywell last year ) roaring in from Duxford.
The "dogfight" wheeled about the sky, with Steve on the tail of the Spitfire, before the Spit out turned the "Messerschmitt", chased it up, down and around, and finally "shot it down", before performing a "Victory roll" just on the edge of the cloud base, with both aircraft then heading back west to Duxford.
The poor light conditions have produced pics which don't do justice to some of the exciting, close flying involved here.

OB 38.jpg
OB 39.jpg
OB 40.jpg
OB 41.jpg
OB 42.jpg
OB 43.jpg
OB 44.jpg
OB 45.jpg
OB 46.jpg
OB 47.jpg
OB 48.jpg

A bit more sedate now, with a Super Decathlon and a DH Beaver doing their stuff. It's always nice to see a Beaver ...... er ....... ahem........ and this one came from ARC at Duxford, flown by John Romain.
The display included close formation flying, aerobatics by the Decathlon, and demonstrated the STOL capabilities of both aircraft.
My hands and wrists are getting a bit tired now, after all the editing etc, so I'll post more tomorrow.

OB 49.jpg
OB 50.jpg
OB 51.jpg
OB 52.jpg
OB 53.jpg
OB 54.jpg
OB 55.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back