Old Buckenham 2022

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Amazing shots Terry, you most certainly got my pulse racing just looking at them, heaven knows what it would have been like being there. Thank you. :D

Another of the slightly different "acts" was a re-creation of "The Last Dogfight" when, in April, 1945, a US Army "Cub" attacked and forced down a German Fiesler "Storch", with the American pilot using his Service .45 pistol to do so !!!
The Cub shown here is, of course, a genuine example, but the Storch is a 75% replica, and very convincing too.

Back tomorrow with more from the show.

OB 109.jpg
OB 110.jpg
OB 111.jpg
OB 112.jpg
OB 113.jpg
OB 114.jpg
OB 115.jpg
OB 116.jpg
OB 117.jpg
OB 118.jpg
OB 119.jpg
OB 120.jpg
OB 121.jpg

The Plain Sailing operated Catalina "Miss Pick Up" arrived from Duxford, and gave it's usual smooth display. She's painted to represent an aircraft of the 5th Emergency Rescue Squadron, who were based at Halesworth, to the east of Old Buckenham, during WW2 ( also the base of the 56th Fighter Group).
For once I was rather happy about the grey skies, as this gave some opportunities for some atmospheric shots, and it was easy to imagine the "Cat" cruising over the cold North Sea, searching for downed aircrew.
There are a few more pics to come, featuring a "new" Spitfire on the UK air show circuit, plus some odds and ends, which I'll sort and post later today and, of course, Karl has more to show too.

OB 122,.jpg
OB 123.jpg
OB 124.jpg
OB 125.jpg
OB 126.jpg
OB 127.jpg
OB 128.jpg
OB 129.jpg
OB 130.jpg
OB 131.jpg

Thanks again chaps.

The air show programme had originally included a P-51D and a P-47D, but these did not participate, the closing "slot" being filled by a recent relative newcomer ( as far as colour schemes are concerned ) to the UK air show circuit, which Karl and I saw flying past our camp site on Saturday evening ( it was a two day show ).
Although it would have been nice to see the Mustang and Thunderbolt, we'd seen both of these particular aircraft numerous times, and it was good to have a "new" aircraft to watch and photograph.
This is Spitfire LF.XVIe, serial number RW382, painted as WZ-RR "Porky II", of the 309th F.S. USAAF, and a quick check showed that we had actually seen this aircraft before, at Little Gransden back in 2014, when it was in the colours of 322 ( Dutch ) Squadron, RAF, coded 3W-P, but good to see a new colour scheme anyway.
Apparently, when the current owner told his wife he was going to buy a Spitfire, she couldn't understand why he wanted "one of those old things", thinking he meant the Triumph Spitfire, the 1960's British sports car !!!

So, this and the following post will show the "new" Spitfire, which gave a very impressive display, and a fitting end to a great day at Old Buckenham.

OB 132.jpg
OB 133.jpg
OB 134.jpg
OB 135.jpg
OB 136.jpg
OB 137.jpg
OB 138.jpg
OB 139.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back