Old Buckenham 2022

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the info Andy. The Dornier is a long way from Home !

This little Mudry CAP 10 gave a neat aerobatics display, seeming "calm and collected" compared to the almost violent displays by current "aerobats" such as the Extra ( which will be shown later.)
The CAP 10 was a development of the earlier Emmeraude two-seat tourer, and was first flown in 1970, and the type was a major contender in World aerobatics competitions in the 1970's and early 1980's.
If you're wondering what that strange object is on the wing tip, I believe it was developed for the P-39 Airacobra, and is a bi-lateral shift calculating widgetmeter, used to assess the shift of the C of G should the nose armour or heater affect performance ............................

Unfortunately, at the time of the Hurricane's display, the skies had darkened, and photography was tricky to say the least. Against a backdrop of dark cloud, most of my shots turned out as almost silhouettes, and therefore coverage of this display is limited to a few rather dull shots, even though they've been adjusted for brightness and contrast.

Yes Andy, it was nice to see some different "acts", and there are a couple of slightly unusual ones to follow later.

The Spitfire formation is next, divided between this and the following post, with the Mk.1 in the lead, flanked by the famous Mk.IX MH434, and the PR.XI. The inscription on the underside of the PR.XI is a tribute to the hard work and dedication provided by Britain's National Health Service during the Covid pandemic.

From the growl and power of the Spitfires' Merlins, to the soft purr from four Druine (Rolason) Turbulents from "The Tiger Club", with their display harking back to the fun air shows of the 1950's, with formation flying, flour bombing and flying under a hurdle.
These diminutive aircraft didn't so much fly, rather they took a leisurely stroll across the sky !

Still lots more to come, including a couple more "unusual" acts.

And now for something completely different !!

A pair of "Extras" provided a spectacular, high speed aerobatic routine. Nothing unusual in that, you may think.
BUT !!!
One of the aircraft was a 43% scale, radio controlled model, flown from the ground !
The speed, agility and spacing of the display was slightly difficult to photograph, but absolutely stunning to watch, with both aircraft performing moves that really shouldn't be tried at home !
I've only shown a few of the moves, as some, as "still" photos, mind-boggling though they are, don't do justice to the speed, power and movement of the aerobatics.
The model is powered by a 175cc motorbike engine, and equipped with a camera in the cockpit, to allow the "pilot" on the ground to see where the model is in relation to the full size aircraft, and unless both aircraft were close to each other, the only quick way to identify the model was by its tinted canopy !

That's all for today, but I'll post a lot more over the weekend.

Thanks Karl.
I guess after almost 60 years of practice, starting with a Kodak "Brownie", I'm starting to get the hang of it !!!
Shame about that remote problem with the focusing and shutter though, earlier in the show, as i missed what could have been some good shots.

Users who are viewing this thread