Old photos coming to light

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks again Hugh.

The big brutish Mil Mi-24 Hind has notoriety for its proven abilities in combat, but the early 'A models suffered a few teething issues in service; weapon sighting systems didn't work as advertised and the pilot's view through the angular and boxy canopy glazing was not the best.

Mil Mi-24A Hind B

The Antonov An-8 was the smaller, less well known prececessor to what has been referred to as the Soviet C-130, the An-12 and lent that type its gun-turretted tail section. Its most notable feat in service was a 1968 raid by Soviet special forces against Plzen airfield during the invasion of Czechoslovakia. Apparently, they suffered a high attrition rate in service.

Antonov An-8 Camp

On the day I went to Monino I met with the director and we talked through a translator about the museum and the exhibits. He said that I could wander around at my leisure, but not to go past a certain area that was guarded by dogs. As I mentioned, when I got nearer the dogs, they'd bark, but withdraw as soon as I moved toward them. Needless to say, I ventured into this area where I wasn't supposed to be, knowing that the chances of getting to see what was there would probably not happen again and so, what I saw was unexpected. A host of Yak-28s in various states of damage and disrepair. Some had fire damage, some with badly damaged appendages; this Yak-28R had suffered a cockpit fire and ejection.

Yakovlev Yak-28R Brewer D 002

In this picture of the ubiquitous An-12, you can see some of the Yak-28s in the background. Looking at images of Monino today, the grass has been cut and the Yaks have all gone.

Antonov An-12BP Cub

Thank you all again.

Another from the Yak graveyard, a Yak-28U slowly succumbing to the undergrowth, although the scrapman got there first...

Yakovlev Yak-28U

This is one of the standout airframes at Monino and hopefully one that might survive; the record breaking Mil V-12, the world's largest helicopter. Initially designed for the aerial transportation of ballistic missiles, only two were completed before the programme was discontinued. Both examples survive, with this being the best preserved one.

Mil V-12 Homer 001

Here's another from the ubiquitous twin engined Yakovlev stable, the Yak-25RV. 155 examples were built of this high altitude reconnaissance platform based on the layout of the Lockheed U-2; the Yak-25RV could reach 20,500m (over 67,000 feet but the VVS was not happy with its performance.

Yakovlev Yak-25RV Mandrake 003

Perhaps the oddest place to find a single example of a Sopwith Triplane and perhaps the most original survivor of the breed - there are only two truly original examples of the Tripe to survive, the other being at the RAF Museum, even then, large components had been rebuilt following a decision to fly it before it was donated to the museum.

Sopwith Triplane 002

We have a nice Sopwith Triplane at our local museum but I'm not sure of it's history.

Yeah, I think there are two in Canadia, unless someone's snuck one in since, but both are post WW2 reproductions. I think one of them, perhaps the one in Ottawa used to fly; it was built by an American guy in the 60s and was flown for a period by the museum.

This next Monino bird was as common as they come in Soviet and even post-Soviet Russia; the An-24 twin turboprop feederliner. Over 1,000 of these workhorses were built in the late 50s/early 60s in a multitude of variants, of which there are believed to be around 100 still operating around the world. And that's not including Chinese production as the Y7, the basic airframe is still being upgraded with new engines and avionics. There's life in the old girl yet.

Antonov An-24 Coke

Another rarity at Monino is this BMW 003 copy powered MiG-9 jet fighter, of which, out of 610 built, only three survive. It was a promising idea; twin engined, light and nimble, but suffering engine flame outs as a result of gun gas ingestion into the intake.

Mikoyan Guryevich MiG-9 I-301 Fargo

Users who are viewing this thread