On a remote Pacific island somewhere in South Carolina..........

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

LUKE'57

Airman
Oct 20, 2008
I can't begin to tell you the controversy this picture caused about thirty years ago where I worked. The in-house company newspaper held a photography contest with "Summertime" or some such category for both color and black and white photos so I intered some of my stuff.

The expected flower closeups and waterfalls swept the color division but when the issue with the winners came out I was shocked to see that I had won 2nd and 3rd in the B&W division. This photo of my Monogram 1/48 scale Corsair and a shot of two dirt track models brought home the money. I, along with the judges, figured that a pic of a plane (air show?) and some racing qualified for summertime activities. By the time all the squawking started I had already deposited the check and faded into the night with a smile and $75 bucks in my bank account. LOL

I'd like to think that I have gotten much better in the years that followed but this marked the first time I knew that I had a good idea of how to use my models and camera. And it's been on since then.

corsaircontest.jpg

I couldn't believe just how much like a runway my '66 Mercury Cyclone flat black hood with the pine tree droppings looked like. Probably a good thing it was in black and white shot so you couldn't see the greenish tint to the tarmac, huh? LOL

I wish I could show you a pic of the Merc but it's sitting in a box along with a late '60's Dodge Dart that I plan to build models of me and my best friend's cars we were driving when we first got out of school. I may have a pic of the real one I'll post if I find it. In the meantime, how about a pic of Dan Gurney's '65 Motor Trend 500 winning Galaxie? I used a shot of him from the
'68 race and added my model over the real car.

GURNEY65.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back