One more of the Doolittle Raiders has passed on. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

...I believe there is now only two left.
That is correct.

Lt. Col. Richard Cole and Staff Sgt. David Thatcher are all that remain...

81157d1232310183-smilies-icon_salute_proper.gif

So he was about 21-22 years old when he volunteered after receiving a request which would have sounded ominous (does anyone know?). As an older man I could fulfil such a request, happy that I've had my time on earth. An young man is in a different situation and has a life to loose he has hardly lived.

For a guy whose name is pronounced "Do Little" Doolittle did a lot.
Jimmy Doolittle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So he was about 21-22 years old when he volunteered after receiving a request which would have sounded ominous (does anyone know?). As an older man I could fulfil such a request, happy that I've had my time on earth. An young man is in a different situation and has a life to loose he has hardly lived.

Of course the flipside is also true...young men don't know what they might miss and feel themselves invulnerable (I still find it amazing that I reached the ripe old age of 25...now I'm pushing the half century!). There's an old saying that youth is wasted on the young...but the men of Lt Col Hite's generation offered their youth as a sacrifice for those of us who came later. May we be worthy of the gift they gave us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back