Online lecture on WW2 engine development (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Deleted member 68059

Staff Sergeant
Dec 28, 2015
I am giving an online talk via the Institute of Mechanical Engineers on key differences between
Allied and German aero-engines, anyone can register. Will be one hour + Q&A.

Rather than another"isnt the Merlin wonderful" back-patting exersize, (which is a reasonable but
very done-to-death topic) this concentrates on explaining
the "why" of explaining how it was that Germany didn't have their "Merlin-61 eureka" moment.

This will take place on 9th July at 18:00 BST (London time). Register below:

The Secret History of Fighter Aircraft Engine Development in WW2 | Online

0.jpg

For those interested, the material in the seminar is expanded upon at length in my book (not printed
until Sept, but available for pre-order below. Over 1000 copies sold so far!)

8504 - THE SECRET HORSEPOWER RACE - WESTERN FRONT FIGHTER ENGINE DEVELOPMENT | Mortons Books

I am giving an online talk via the Institute of Mechanical Engineers on key differences between

Rather than another"isnt the Merlin wonderful" back-patting exersize, (which is a reasonable but
the "why" of explaining how it was that Germany didn't have their "Merlin-61 eureka" moment.

View attachment 586697

For those interested, the material in the seminar is expanded upon at length in my book (not printed

8504 - THE SECRET HORSEPOWER RACE - WESTERN FRONT FIGHTER ENGINE DEVELOPMENT | Mortons Books

Done.

View attachment 586697

Done

View attachment 586697

Done. Thanks!

Thanks for the notification! I'll see if I can make that event.

Of course, I'd likely have to set up a more modern computer that is not coal-fired and steam powered, but that is at least theoretically possible.

I am booked in and at 3am AEST Friday the nbn will hopefully be operating at full speed for a change.
Currently it is as below on what is touted as a 25mbs connection.
1593915752349.png

I am booked in and at 3am AEST Friday the nbn will hopefully be operating at full speed for a change.
Currently it is as below on what is touted as a 25mbs connection.

Thanks for registering, I think you`ll be ok for bandwidth as this is more a web-presentation than a televised lecture. So in other words you`ll
see my own computer screen with my slides, and be able to hear me. But there wont be any moving video of me wandering about
in front of a big screen; if you see what I mean.

Deleted: Having multiple windows open has consequences

Thanks for registering, I think you`ll be ok for bandwidth as this is more a web-presentation than a televised lecture. So in other words you`ll
see my own computer screen with my slides, and be able to hear me. But there wont be any moving video of me wandering about
in front of a big screen; if you see what I mean.
Thanks - that will make life much easier

View attachment 586697

I'm in - looking forward to this.

The registering for this thing is like pulling teeth: There's no real correct answer for certain things. I've been making money with rudimentary stock investing, but don't have any real job at this moment. So I'm putting self-employed, and there's a variety of criteria that don't even apply to my field of work, and I'm basically making shit up.

Thank you for an excellent webinar.
I found your comment on the air/oil separator on modern grand prix engines mirrored WW2 German aero engine technology interesting as the same thing is covered in the book Romance of Engines where the Japanese grand prix engine designers visiting Le Mans found two items they thought they had invented were incorporated in WW1 aero engines.

A fascinating and most enjoyable talk. The audio cut out on me for a minute or two half way through and again during the third question but otherwise was very well done. I could have listened for hours! Thanks for doing this Calum. Off to order the book now.

Hello Calum
Thanks a lot for the excellent webinar!
Very interesting and I learned several new facts. Only downside :D was that it confirmed that your book is a must for me. So one more book to my shopping list.

Juha

Thanks to everyone who attended. I have to confess that was far more difficult than a proper lecture where I can see the audience, and walk about and point at the slides on a screen at the front. Apparently 710 people registered, and 430 people logged in. Sorry its only an hour, as its only the briefest overview of a few key points.

Thanks for your very interesting talk. It was interesting to see why Daimler Benz went to the trouble of flying a Spitfire with a DB 605 to try to prove that with a strong radiator the DB 605 functioned well. There was an old thread that mentioned the argument between Nallinger and Messerschmitt First half of '43, the 109 Gustav is still one of top fighters in the field? which said that the Bf 109's radiators could only take 2.3 atmospheres (you mentioned that the Spitfire's radiator operated at 4 atmospheres) despite the requirement specified by DB of 2.6 atmospheres pressure. According to that thread, the DB 605 was eventually fitted with a "Ölschlauder"but I don't know if that was similar to the centrifuge of the Ju 213 that you mentioned was similar to ones found in GP cars.

I also like the pictures of valves from BMW 801s. One good quiz question is which of the Bf 109 and Fw 190 had the highest accident rate in 1942. Most people guess the 109 because of the 190's wider undercarriage but engine problems meant that the correct answer is the Fw 190.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back