Ontos's Photos (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As Eric, Ontos, I use a 18-200 VR the only thing I'll say is that all zoom lenses are a compromise as the light has to pass through much more glass in order to zoom and maintain a flat image where as fixed length lenses use less glass so the image quality of say a fixed focal length 50mm lens will be on average better than a zoom set at 50mm but makes taking action shots very limited. As with all things Ontos its a case of what may suit one person may not suit another.
Eric is definately the man to ask about digital. I use it with limited success, but most of my photographic work has been done in the days of roll film and developing dishes so Im still learning digital myself. As for the software, that just drives me potty first thing I did learn was that half the stuff you can do is rubbish making aunt Mable look like shes a negative or oil painting gets boring very quickly.

Thanks all I appreciate your help. I've read about the fixed telephoto lenses, and checked them out, but they are way beyond my price range. I'll leave those for the pros.

Went out to get the paper the other day, turned around to the front door and saw this, I just had to run in and get my camera. 8)

IMG_0177-1.jpg

IMG_0178-1.jpg

Thanks all, I guess I'll have to make a holster for my camera and carry it with me. Sometimes just driving somewhere I'll see something that I think would make a great shot. I need to get a tripod and a remote shutter release, I tried to take some pictures of the Moon and clouds the other night and they came out terrible, lost moment. I have quite allot to learn. Do you use any kind of filters on a bright Moon shot?

Thanks Eric, I used the full auto without flash. The lens stayed open so long the pictures were all blurred. I even tried a tripod, (cheap one), and it didn't help. I'll try the faster shutter speed, I also used the 75-300 lens, bad part is it doesn't have the "Image Stabilizer", I'm thinking of buying a new one with it.

Thanks Eric, I used the full auto without flash. The lens stayed open so long the pictures were all blurred. I even tried a tripod, (cheap one), and it didn't help. I'll try the faster shutter speed, I also used the 75-300 lens, bad part is it doesn't have the "Image Stabilizer", I'm thinking of buying a new one with it.
With a full moon, you definately need to have a fast shutter speed...a full moon against a night sky is like aiming your camera at a street light.

Instead of auto, try the shutter speed select, and try setting your shutter speeds around 1000-1500, the aperature should self adjust in that mode. If the moon comes out too dark, slow the shutter down a little, too bright, then speed it up some.

We had a discussion about that over in my photo thread, I posted a moon photo with some setting info that may give you some ideas next time you try http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/personal-gallery/graugeists-photos-17650.html I think the moon photo is at post #23

Thanks GG, I'll try that on the next full moon. I'll feel like I'm back in school again, having a great experience learning new things. Let me ask a dumb question, If I want the trees in front of the moon to come out sharp, with the moon in the background, would I use Landscape mode? :oops:

That's a tough shot to try, ontos. I've mentioned before that it was explained to me that the human eye sees in at least 7 f-stops where a SLR camera can see about 2.

I've tried myself many times, and have been able to get trees in the foreground only if the moon is overexposed or partially obscured by clouds, which softens the light allowing for a longer exposure. The only other option I can think of, is to grab two different exposures and work them in photoshop to create your desired effect.

I'll see if I can round up one or two examples, and I'll post them in my thread so you can see what I mean.

* found some nice ones - posted 'em already *

Last edited:
Thanks, that is exactly the shot I was thinking of. Using Photoshop is a good idea. I think I'll give it a try the next time something catches my eye.

Like Eric mentioned before, don't be afraid to take a bunch of shots...it only costs you the time taken to unload the memory card! :lol:

I'll take a shot, preview, a quick adjustment then shoot again. Repeat as needed until you either get your shot, or run out of memory :lol:

Went out to get the paper again and noticed this sunrise over the Big "M" mountain. Didn't come out as good as I would have liked, should I have used filter, any suggestions. Also caught a shot of this Humming Bird in my back yard.

IMG_0193-1.jpg

IMG_0191-2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back