OOB (Out of Box) unofficial GB - anyone keen?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So guys, sure, you can putty gaps, remove marks, file or fill ejector pin marks etc. That's normal for any build. I don't think using parts from other kits qualifies though. Nobody is saying anything about this though.

Alright, sounds good. I'd agree that stealing things from other kits doesn't really qualify as OOB personally.

Feb 1 is good.

Decided Feb after your initial post Andy... figured others might need time to pepare too.

Now is good for me though - let's do it! :)

Once I've finished the RCAF CF-104, and it's Danish counterpart, and at least made a start at getting back to work on the commissions, and given my hands are still working, and I can stay awake - theeeeeennnn I'll bung in a 1/48th scale Mirage IIIC of the Armee de L'Air from the 1960s, in lovely bare metal with red intakes etc.
I picked up the Hobby Boss kit cheapish, but it came sans decals (notice another French connection, eh?) and the canopy was broken.
I've got aftermarket decals and some from the spares box, depending on the final choice of markings, which I understand are acceptable within the 'rules', but I had to get a vac-form canopy (actually for a Mirage F1, the closest I could find) in order to replace the broken opening section.
I presume that, in this case, that will also be acceptable?
If not, then I'll 'enter' something else for the first one.

There's always debate about what constitutes OOB.

Here's a set of IPMs rules which are as good as any.

rules_zps6678735e.gif

Now you've got to get everyone to agree them :)

Cheers

Steve

Sounds good Steve. Here's my choice, from what I've read, it's a rebox of a Hasegawa kit with some resin bits thrown in...

104325-11185-86.jpg

002.JPG

If I can ever find my RCAF Golden Hawks decals, that'll be my second build.

Geo

I have a HobbyBoss FJ-4B on order that I think I'll do but to start it out I think I'll do a 1/72 PM Model Ta 183 I have in the stash. Very simple with only about 20 parts but the surface detail looks real nice.

Nice subjects guys!

Cheers for the link Steve. It's just a question mark on the smartphone, but will check it out tonight on the laptop.

Terry, yep no worries. If a kit has damaged or missing components, by all means resource them.

I have been asked about reshaping of parts. I know Andy was against it, but what do others think? It would be restricted to sanding to shape if so, no razor surgery.

As for my build, started removal and clean up of the Airfix Ki-46-II last night, being built in tandem with a 'serious' build Hasegawa Ki-46-II. Thread up later tonight.

Thanks Evan. Can't see a problem with re-shaping of parts to get a more accurate appearance - as long as they're original kit parts which would benefit from the work. After all, the part(s) would have come 'out of the box' !

Major surgery, depending what it's for, could be a different matter, although again, if it's to assist in fit, for example, then fine.
I might have to re-shape part of the ejection seat on the Mirage, as the kit parts will just look too 'square', and would spoil the overall appearance of the model.

Nice one Karl. I need to get some RAF Sabre decals for my second Academy kit, which might be another entry in this UGB.

Cool, thanks Terry. If others agree aswell, we will allow reshaping (by sanding, cutting or filing down) of kit parts to improve their appearance.

Steve, could see those rules now. They sound like a good basis.

Karl, nice choice mate!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back