OOOOps,this is gonna be expensive...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not forgotten, and not funny.

I was flying on another KLM heavy on that day and will never forget being met at the arrivals gate.

According to the BBC the Comair was still taxing to its stand.

What the crew and passengers must have thought on board . Now I know why they say "remain seated with your seat belts on until the plane has stopped"!!

This was on the evening news last night with more details. The Comair had stopped short and had not pulled fully into the gate. Apparently a pick-up truck had driven in front of the comair forcing it to stop short. The operators of the Airbus had required airports to widen taxiways to 100ft to handle the big plane but the JFK airport had received an exception since they handle so few of the big jets and therefore still had the old 70ft wide runway. Seems like a bunch of random factors had aligned on that stormy night. Plenty of blame to go around

Last edited:
This was on the evening news last night with more details. The Comair had stopped short and had not pulled fully into the gate. Apparently a pick-up truck had driven in front of the comair forcing it to stop short. The operators of the Airbus had required airports to widen taxiways to 100ft to handle the big plane but the JFK airport had received an exception since they handle so few of the big jets and therefore still had the old 70ft wide runway. Seems like a bunch of random factors had aligned on that stormy night. Plenty of blame to go around

Saw this - still the blame of the Airbus driver - FAR 91.3. I can see the NTSB saying that the Airbus driver should have known about the narrower taxi ways and should have used extra precautions because of weather conditions.

FBJ, does not seem totally fair to me but I understand that these kinds of rules have to be black and white and the pilot is holding the end of the stick

FBJ, does not seem totally fair to me but I understand that these kinds of rules have to be black and white and the pilot is holding the end of the stick
What it boils down to that unless there is an emergency, there is no error margin in a situation like this.

Bad weather, taxi slower.
Narrow taxiway, use precautions.
Your plane is too big to be supported by the airport you landed at - you (the pilot) assumes the responsibility, espically if the requirements came from the manufacturer.

"I was driving down the narrow road in my SUV when I looked ahead and saw a Smartcar crossing the intersection ahead of me. Damn, this road is narrow, look's like there's no room to go around. Maybe I should brake? Naw, he'll make it. Oh there's a kid crossing the road now so the Smartcar needs to slow down. Maybe I should brake. Naw, it'll be close but he should make it ....BANG!

Yup, the road was too narrow, the kid should'nt have crossed the road, the Smartcar should have sped up or got out of my way. Who's fault is it? 100% mine my friends.

What about that dumb Smartcar? Shoulda been smarter

Attachments

• 3301 - 0featured-image car crash irony smart truck vehicles.png
    3301 - 0featured-image car crash irony smart truck vehicles.png
    135.1 KB · Views: 7,100
Dang. That vid reminds me too much of the USS Drum (SSN 677) gettin rammed by the tanker in Hong Kong harbor. Felt about like that looked, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back