oops

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Me109
Ger-airc-wreck.jpg

Me109, Norway
Norway41.jpg

Captured V2
CapturedV2postwar.jpg

Stuka
stuk-prang.jpg

Anybody notice the props on the Typhoon? How did they get bent that way?

If you mean how they curl, the props are slowly introduced into the ground [resistance] and the prop bends backward/forward. As the height lowers the bending moment continues in the same direction as the original deformation. Subsequent lowering of the fuselage introduces further bending moment upon the prop and a curl intiates until final rotation.

I understand what ya'll are saying but I thought it strange that 2 are bent north and the other 2 are bent south. Just curious how that can happen. Almost every pic I see of a pranged bird show the props bent only one way - not 2 different directions.

Physics would suggest the intial bend trends the remainder. So inclimental angle of attack for first strike drives remainder. This is much more easier understood if forward velocity crash speeds are at a lower level.
Note also that it appears the typhoon longitudinally switched 180 from velocity vector upon crash landing. This too appears to have had an affect on prop deformation.

Last edited:
NOTE- sorry you have to click on the bar to expand my pics, but their original size is around 1000 to 1200 pixels wide and this forums software shrinks them to 800 for techy reasons. You can get round it a bit by holding CTRL and rolling your mousewheel to expand them. (or hold CTRL and hit the = key)
Also you could save them to your hard drive (or burn them to DVD) and run them as a slideshow at full size to fill your monitor screen and blow your socks off..:)
PS- The original big fullsize pics are at the M4T flight sim forum-
http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewforum&f=92

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P-40 at East Boston with collapsed undercart, mangled wing, rope tangled in prop,and blades bent forward. What happened is anybody's guess, I don't know..
p40eboston1941.jpg

Avenger, more bent-forward blades
avengerhang.jpg

Avenger
helldivercolorghs.jpg

Same plane as above
helldivercolorght.jpg

Last edited:
P-40 landing overshoot
p40swpacificovershotlan.jpg

Hellcat in car park, NAS San Diego
hellcatnassandiego.jpg

P-47, Mitchel Fld, NY
p47crashmitchelfldny.jpg

Hellcat, Ondonga, Solomons
hellcatondonga.jpg

B-17 "The Horse", New Guinea
b17thehorsetadjinewguin.jpg

P-38 with damaged wingtips, New Guinea
p38damagenewguinea.jpg

Vought O2U Corsair with flotation bags
voughto2ucorsairflotati.jpg

Wildcat, USS Sable, 1944
wildactprangusssable194.jpg

Texan force-landed in Alabama 1944, seems to be soot behind cowl as if from engine fire
texanforcedlandalabama1.jpg

C-47
c47pancake.jpg

A Boston
bostontipup.jpg

Piper L-4
piperl4flip.jpg

Last edited:
That Hellcat in last pic post #132 theres another plane beside it, upside down!

and Terry will love those Wildcat pics! :)

Thanks for posting!! Cool shots!

Terry blinked and moved on ....
Chris, see my reply in post#113 re the Typhoon prop blades. The engine was running when the prop first struck. Blades bend back when the engine is off or at idle/windmilling, and bend forward when the engine has power on.

Last edited:
If anybody's interested in 1920's/30's civil aviation there's a "Golden Age" photo gallery here-

Mission4Today › ForumsPro › R R Forums › Off Topic › Project: IL-2 1926 The Golden Age of Aviation

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wiley Post's Vega at Flat, Alaska 1933
"Worried about the 20,000 foot mountains in his way, he touched down at a 700-foot landing strip in a small mining town, Flat, Alaska. He smashed his prop and right landing gear in the process". no injuries, plane repaired
Vega-Flat-Alaska1933.jpg

HP42 caught on ground by storm and (presumably) hail
HP42-wreck.jpg

Film maker Martin and Osa Johnson's Sikorsky S-39, Africa 1930's
Sik-S39-prang.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back