OUTRAGE! Needless freezing death of a WWII veteran!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It is pretty grotesque
such is the charm of capitalism - everything driven by money
and look where money's driven us - global financial meltdown

Cold-blooded and heartless, he was there in the system's hour of need; where was the system in his hour of need?

I don't think this tragedy has anything to do with the "evils of capitalism" or the current global financial situation. It has everything to do with a cold and rigid utility company that operates more like a robot than a company that is supposed to provide a service to the people.

Despite this tragedy (and others like this) I'd take capitalism over any other type of system this planet has to offer....

Absolutely disgraceful, and a disgusting way to treat any human being, more so an elderly veteran. Let those responisible sit in a freezer for a few hours, and hope they have this on their minds for the rest of their lives.

I don't think this tragedy has anything to do with the "evils of capitalism" or the current global financial situation. It has everything to do with a cold and rigid utility company that operates more like a robot than a company that is supposed to provide a service to the people.

Despite this tragedy (and others like this) I'd take capitalism over any other type of system this planet has to offer....
Didn't mention the 'evils of capitalism' Joe
just the more-than-occasional heartlessness of it; I also think there's a link to the larger-scale problems we're having but you're right insofar as it's probably discourse for another debate.
This tragedy was driven by money, the whole issue revolved around non-payment and the consequent installation of a device whose operation wasn't explained to him and that, by the sounds of it, he didn't even know was there.
They should have looked at the issue of non-payment before the incident, instead of asking themselves why they didn't after it, a computer check should have revealed his age and a softer line could have been taken ie the age of this guy, the weather we're (you're) having and coming up with a solution that fitted the problem.

It is pretty grotesque
such is the charm of capitalism - everything driven by money
and look where money's driven us - global financial meltdown

Joe is right Colin. This tragic episode has nothing to do with capitalism.

And the "global financial meltdown' has not been caused by capitalism. Mis-management, incompetance, fraud, greed, ignorant lenders, clueless borrowers, lack of government regulation, too much government regulation, etc. have caused most of our economic problems.

The villain here is the utility company.

TO

Joe is right Colin. This tragic episode has nothing to do with capitalism.

And the "global financial meltdown' has not been caused by capitalism. Mis-management, incompetance, fraud, greed, ignorant lenders, clueless borrowers, lack of government regulation, too much government regulation, etc. have caused most of our economic problems.

The villain here is the utility company
TO
I think it has, maybe I'm seeing it from another angle.

'incompetence, fraud, greed, ignorant lenders, clueless borrowers'

Those sound like the shortcomings of capitalism to me, it was the incompetence and greed of a profit-driven company that led to the trip device being installed before thinking it through.

Joe, TO
I don't really want to comment further on why that is, because the theme of the thread is far more important and tragic than why I think what I think.
By the way, I too think capitalism is the only viable system on the planet but sometimes it really needs to stop and look at itself.

Didn't mention the 'evils of capitalism' Joe
just the more-than-occasional heartlessness of it; I also think there's a link to the larger-scale problems we're having but you're right insofar as it's probably discourse for another debate.
As a Russian friend once told me, "Capitalism rewards those who work hard and makes the best of the system but is incredibly cruel to the lazy and disadvantaged."
This tragedy was driven by money, the whole issue revolved around non-payment and the consequent installation of a device whose operation wasn't explained to him and that, by the sounds of it, he didn't even know was there.
While you are also correct there was nothing in place indicating to the utility that this man might of been incapable of taking care of his affairs. I doubt that would have made a difference but in some states there are instruments in place to look into similar situations
They should have looked at the issue of non-payment before the incident, instead of asking themselves why they didn't after it, a computer check should have revealed his age and a softer line could have been taken ie the age of this guy, the weather we're (you're) having and coming up with a solution that fitted the problem.
Perhaps...

BTW my parents are 81 and 87 respectively. My dad has Alzheimer's and my mom has medical and emotional problems that have rendered her incapable of doing any financial transactions. My sister and I take care of all their financial affairs. It seems this poor man had a nephew but no one else to look after him, that's the real problem and tragedy.

I showed this article to another forum I'm on, and I could not believe the kind of comments I saw! it's like they said he deserved it! :mad:

That is one artsy fartsy forum right there.

The man died and the company is to blame. Period. You don't leave a 93 year old man in the cold this time of the year. And it doesn't matter if he's a purple heart recipient or not.

:salute:

Those power company guys better remember that this 93 year old veteran protected US power companies when the Nazi's were taking over the world!

The owner of this company should be fired first rate on the double.

How about a big fat fee to be paid from some private pockets (the bosses of a company I mean). It won't revive the poor vet, but it would teach a lesson or two...

Look what kind of forum it is...

They judge us because this is a WW2 forum, that is pretty lame if you ask me (I hope they are reading this as well).

I do not think anyone here would think any differently if the elderly man had never served in the military. It is a tragedy period, and never should have happened.

Exactly. However if you are a "lefty" and just skim over the thread, you might conclude this was just a typical "conservative" military forum that wants to see a head roll.

Just like I think they are a typical narcisstic wannabe-artists forum that put black and white pictures of themselves in their avatars and like the smell of their own farts.

It is a tragedy on so many levels. First because of the power company canceling his service. Second, because someone should have been checking on this man. There may be more people to blame than just the power company alone, but it is none the less, a terrible way to die that should/could have been avoided. Maybe a neighbor could have taken his payment in for him or mailed it. It's too late now, and matters little. It is such a waste of as human life, and a terrible way to leave this world.
I think here in Iowa, a bill was passed several years ago that prohibits utility company's from shutting off service to people who are unable to pay their bills. I do not know if Iowa's utility Company's use a limiter or not though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back