OUTRAGE! Needless freezing death of a WWII veteran!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
BAY CITY, Mich. – When neighbors went inside Marvin Schur's house, the windows were frosted over, icicles hung from a faucet, and the 93-year-old World War II veteran lay dead on the bedroom floor in a winter jacket over four layers of clothing.

He froze to death — slowly and painfully, authorities say — days after the electric company installed a power-limiting device because of more than $1,000 in unpaid bills.

Full story below:
Freezing death of Mich. man in house sparks anger - Yahoo! News

A man who fought for this country is killed by his local electric company. Unbelievable.

'' Bay City Electric Light Power did not contact Schur face-to-face to notify him of the device and explain how it works, instead following its usual policy by leaving a note on the door. But neighbors said Schur rarely, if ever, left the house in the cold.''

Shame on the company- I don´t belive they didn´t know about his age!

My Journey - 93 year-old World War II Veteran froze-to-death in home

Posted by Archbishop Gregory Godsey on January 28, 2009

Marvin Schur. You may not know Mr. Schur, but the World War II veteran is dead today at the age of 93. And normally that would be the end of the story.

Mr. Schur froze-to-death in his Michigan home this week. We are not talking about getting a little cold and contracting pneumonia. No, he literally froze-to-death.

Bay City Electric Light Power installed a limiter on his power meter days before he was found dead. They installed it because he owed $1000 in unpaid power bills. After 50 or so years of paying on time, no one at the power company thought to call and check on him when his payment was late. Furthermore, when they installed the limiter, no one took the time to talk to Mr. Schur about why they were installing the limiter or how to reset it if it tripped.

Instead, they left him a note on the door. On the door of a 93 year old World War II veteran. On the door outside in the -9 degree to 12 degree weather. On the door where he would not see it because he would be staying indoors to stay out of the weather.

It was not a case of Mr. Schur not having the money to pay the bill. Quite the opposite, he told his nephew that he had $600,000 in savings and when police entered his house (called to the scene by neighbors) they found his bills stacked on the table with the money clipped to them. It was either a case of being unable to go pay the bills or that he simple began to slip and forgot about them.

But the power company and the City Manager, Robert Belleman, seem to think that this was entirely Mr. Schur and his neighbors fault. "I've said this before and some of my colleagues have said this: Neighbors need to keep an eye on neighbors," Belleman said. "When they think there's something wrong, they should contact the appropriate agency or city department." (1)

What? The power company has staff to call and notify people that they are late. Not a single one called Mr. Schur. They had a tech out at his home to install the limiter. It was too much work to knock on the door and speak to Mr. Schur. Remember, the tech was standing at the door to put the note on it!

And yet it is not the fault of the power company, but rather it is the fault of the neighbors that this happened?!?

If it were not for the neighbors, his body would not have been found for weeks or even months. They got concerned when they had not seen him in a few days and went to check on him. So what do you want? Neighbors knocking on his door daily doing your job???

If the power company had done their job, this man would still be alive. I personally believe that they should never limit peoples power or shut it off if the temperature is below freezing or above 100 degrees. But that is where greed comes into the picture. The power company wants its money and they do not care who they kill to get it.

Will Bay City Electric Light Power cancel his bill now that he is dead? No! They will demand payment from his estate! They killed the man and now they will want to be paid for doing him the honor.

And as a neighbor pointed out, we charge people with a crime who leave their animals out in the freezing weather resulting in their death. But how much you want to bet that not a single thing is done to those at Bay City Electric Light Power that were involved in the murder of Mr. Schur?

I believe everyone at Bay City Electric Light Power involved in this case should be charged with involuntary manslaughter at the very least. If I had my way, they would all be charged with Murder 2, depraved indifference to human life.

Take a moment if you can to go and read about what Mr. Schur went through during his last days on this earth. And then, take a moment to pray for him and others like him.

And don't forget to check on that neighbor who has no one else to check in on them. We can all do our part to prevent this from happening again!

He aint gonna rest in peace... He's gonna haunt the souls of those buracratic as*hats who decided his life and service were irrelevant and make them suffer years of torment...

Or atleast I can hope that he will get some sort of justice in the afterworld....

It really angered me when I read that he was not only a recipient of the purple heart, but a medic. Ask anyone who has ever been in harm's way and they will tell you that the medic is likely the bravest mofo in the unit.

At the very least, Bay City Manager Robert Belleman deserves to lose his job. But he and the chain of command for the utility worker that only left a note on the door should all be brought up on charges of negligent homicide or manslaughter.

Bay City Manager Robert Belleman said that he was "deeply saddened" by Schur's death and that State Police will investigate. But he also said neighbors have a responsibility to each other.

As do utility companies have responsibilities to not KILL their customers. What kind of greed drives a company to shut off power to someone's home in freezing temperatures?!

Murder. Absolute murder!

But the power company and the City Manager, Robert Belleman, seem to think that this was entirely Mr. Schur and his neighbors fault.

and this, gentlemen, is the reason why everything is so poor now with the economy and such. This is the attitude that we are dealing with. Totally, heartless disconcern for your fellow human being. Just all about the money. To go through what Mr. Schur did in his service to be finally done in by a buraecratic Ahole is murder!

Murder. Absolute murder!
and this, gentlemen, is the reason why everything is so poor now with the economy and such. This is the attitude that we are dealing with. Totally, heartless disconcern for your fellow human being. Just all about the money. To go through what Mr. Schur did in his service to be finally done in by a buraecratic Ahole is murder!

Yep, absolutely! Only a money counter can say such a bullshit. I wanna know Mr. Belleman´s statement if the frozen poor guy was his grandpa! OMG:evil:

Disgraceful!

I hope those responsible rot in hell!

TO
It is pretty grotesque
such is the charm of capitalism - everything driven by money
and look where money's driven us - global financial meltdown

Cold-blooded and heartless, he was there in the system's hour of need; where was the system in his hour of need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back