OUTRAGE! Needless freezing death of a WWII veteran!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

First off, Trebor, you will never get your point across in that forum. The "lead" poster there is clearly into her self-enlightened opinion, and has minions sucking up to her. If she thought it was a horrible tragedy, and the power company should be burned to the ground, all the mouth-peices in that forum would be yelling "here here!" and applauding her sentiments.

The bottom line is, that 93 year old suffered in silence and it should not have happened. The power company should have known because utility companies have a customer's personal information (Social Security Number, Date of Birth, Driver's Lisense Number, etc). If they placed a limiter on there, they most likely had to make contact with the gentleman to do so. I have never seen a power company come out to an address and not knock at the door before leaving a notice. They do place notices before they change service arrangements. I'm pretty sure that's mandatory, per the Public Utilities Commission.

The difference between this forum, and that forum is that we all have a common interest in a hard reality that is military history and yes, we'll take particular interest in a tragedy like this. Because there's a vast majority of folks here that know what that man went through during his service, and we above-all appreciate what he did and won't just offer up lame-assed excuses as to why it was his own fault and that the media just made it worse than it really was.

He deserves better than that.

Here here, Graugeist. From what I have read, he was a loner, aside from his wife. But anyone who has been in a combat zone knows the horrors of war. Having been a medic in the Pacific as he was, there were probably unimaginable horrors that he was exposed to, which could very well have led to his being a loner.

He was estranged from at least one of his nephews and they both lived outside of the state, so it would not have been possible for them to check up on him every day. How many of you talk to an uncle on a frequent basis?

The power company is supposed to show the occupant of the home how to reset the limiter. They did not. Leaving the note on the door is ridiculous as a cop out. How many of you leave your house through the garage and don't open your front door for days? I do, and I can't see my front door from the driveway. So if a note was stuck to MY front door, it will likely not be seen for at least a few days.

He had the money for the bill to pay, and somehow didn't. Why is unknown, but considering that the man was 93, one can surmise that the memory is not what it used to be. Did the power company ever call him?

So why is being a WWII veteran so important? Well, if you don't know the answer to that question, perhaps you need to pick up a freaking history book and realize that if it weren't for people like him, the world would be a much more evil place. Also considering that he was a medic AND a recipient of a purple heart, the man is a hero, although I would bet he would deny being a hero. Heroes like that don't deserve to freeze to death in their own home.

But even taking the veteran/medic/medals out of the formula, a lonely old man died because a power company installed a device to shut off his power after a measured amount of usage, didn't tell him about it, AND did not show him how it to reset it. THAT is at the very least, criminal negligence, period.

Those on that forum don't understand that it was because of people like that 93 yr old vet, that they get to have a forum to bitch about and talk about the different uses of pretty colors. Shame.

don't worry, I've been on that forum since 2005, and It's been going downhill, recently. I've been considering leaving it.

there's a lot of assholes there. never realized it till just like around '06.

That forum cracks me up! Some of those people on there, are lacking in the history of WW2.

I still think it is funny though that they judge us for being a WW2 forum and call us biased. Of course we are. We care about the dignity, respect and lives of the veterans who served in that war (and any war).

Then some of them go on and make assumptions about veterans.

Thanks to Trebor, I see that this forum exists.

It seems I am one in the unpopular minority over there but a lot of those members are stubborn and rude and can't seem to see past what I say over there. Most of it stems from them being teenagers and cultural differences.

I just want to say that if you look at my posts over there (same name and avatar) that yes this man's death was wrong and for the fact that he was WWII field medic makes it worse. The electric company is to blame because of their policies and putting the limiter on the meter when the temperatures were already in the danger zone.

Thanks for stopping by, jwalraven and yes we did notice your posts.

People's points of view can be many, and they are entitled to them. And the fact that they can offer up thier opinions, right or wrong, without persecution is directly connected to that unfortunate 93 year old man and countless others like him.

The fact that he died alone, in silence regardless of who was to blame is a sad testiment to our society, who has come to take personal liberties and freedoms for granted. It was in the past, and in some places today, very dangerous to be a free-thinker, an educated person or an artist who spoke thier minds or tried to express free-will. They would be rounded up and chances were extremely slim that they would survive thier ordeal.

It was because of our veterans that toed the line and stopped the Axis nations dead in thier tracks, that we enjoy a free society today. And as a WWII forum, we are grounded in that time period where our liberties were in jeopardy and we understand what it took to defeat the Axis and who did it, and when and where.

This man risked his life in the midst of combat to aid wounded soldiers. Medics literally dodged bullets and schrapnel so that they could perform thier duties and that makes him a far bigger hero in my book because that takes a certain kind of devotion to thier fellow man.

That is why we pay the respects due that medic and his brothers and would expect at least a little respect from people who may not know these old veterans, but have a debt to them all the same.

Welcome to the forum, raven!

I don't think a forum dedicated to anime' or sports cars or whatever will understand what the passions are of a WWII forum. Thats fine.

But take away any facts about the man being a vet and you have a man who froze to death because a large entity failed in looking at him as even a human being. And when some - like on that forum - believe it was his fault, i.e., "he had the money..", "he should have known better", "I thought he was handicapped..." something is wrong.

People with an artistic flair and appreciation come from a position of passion. Where is the passion for someone who died? Needlessly?

Thanks for the warm welcomes guys!

I probably came off as a total bitch to them but I know what I am talking about. I'm not just some artsy fartsy person on there.

I think a lot of it comes from me growing up in a military town, being AFJROTC and a bit of college ROTC. I tried to do the military thing but it wasn't for me. However, my husband is close to commissioning into the AF so I will be one of those AF wives.

Anyway back on topic on this hero's death. It is still showing that it was the electric companies fault. This policy with the meter limiters is just plain wrong. Epona (one that is on our side) has found another instance where limiters were used and no communication was used in telling the customer.
Bay City woman says she had little info about 'limiter ' placed on her meter - Bay City News - The Latest News, Blogs, Photos Videos – MLive.com

Thanks for posting that, jwalraven.

It makes you wonder how many other seniors and families that have fallen on hard times have suffered in harsh winters...

There clearly needs to be a solution for this, just not sure what that might be at this point in time.

That shouldn't have happened to anyone...after all thats what he fought for. A fair and respectful standard of living for us all. Its disgusting that he should have died in such an undignified (and preventable) way...sad.

I don't know who's at fault here...was it the power company who sets the "policy"? Or the poor schmuck who's job it was to put the limiter on the house? If I had to cut peoples power off day after day I would get tired of listen to people pleading with me to leave the electrics on...how long could you listen to sob story after sob story before you would just want to "check out"?

I didn't took the time to read all the posts, but the story itself is just :....I mean, how could this happen, its just not normal. Unfortunately, unless people start "shouting", the a**holes responsible for this murder will get away.

I didn't took the time to read all the posts, but the story itself is just :....I mean, how could this happen, its just not normal. Unfortunately, unless people start "shouting", the a**holes responsible for this murder will get away.

I guess that's what happens when greed takes over, human life is not important as filling your pockets. In my opinion, the whole thing could have been avoided had the power company called the man about the bills. That, or show him how the limiter works, instead of installing it with only a note on the door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back