P-38 Lightning vs P-51 Mustang: Which was the Better Fighter?

Which was the better fighter? The P-38 Lightning or the P-51 Mustang?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ren, Bill, and Eric, all true. Add in the smell, heat, G forces, sweating in your flight suit, trying to fly precision maneuvers while your stomach is getting queezy after pulling 4 or 5 Gs all the time talking on the radio and looking out for traffic.

PC sims have given a good perspective of WW2 aircraft performance and situations but in the end you're playing a game and when I hear these knuckleheads trying to base a discussion here and what they "experience" in their toy sim, well it just sickens me.

DUDE, i'm not your DUDE.. comprendre? and the fact is.. that its getting CLOSE to realism for the 1.000.000 time.. In my opinion when you put the flight caractrics of the P51 to the P38 the P51 for me wins. PERIOD.

AND, i say once again that the real flying is different because you have some extra influences.. but you have the input of the caractrics of the planes where you can enjoy your combat flight simulator. Oke you dont feel G's and oke you dont smell you own sweat and other fluids from pullings those G's.. but hey.. that is no influence to the AIRCRAFT.. but the influence on the PILOT.

Your flying, and can for example pull 6g's easily.. but my granny could fly and would not take 4g's for example.. to me thats the example of the deference of taking punishment on a person's body.. and then i'm not counting braveness or foolish reactions of a pilot. Lets say pulling so many g's that you are knocked out-> pilot error..

Goddamn, than they respond i'm acting arrogant.. but the unwillingnes to accept a man's oppinion bothers me a lot. I have great respect for real pilot's.. but accept the fact that the new simmulator's are getting verry verry realistic.

AND. one other thing.. IL2 is the only old simulator i play. BUT with the latest graffic and sound mod's.. becouse the original version of the game is verry verry out of date.

but in the end you're playing a game and when I hear these knuckleheads trying to base a discussion here and what they "experience" in their toy sim, well it just sickens me.

toy game.. obvious you dont have a clue what i'm talking about..

I'm comparing in game data, witch is verry verry VERRY close to the actual performance of the aircraft.. without counting pilot's mistakes/abilities and strength. and then i respond in what way these planes are good and bad for me (in my oppinion).. and then again.. you insult me..

you know.. leave it.. it would safe you some 'sick' time.. DUDE

I got one of these so I know EXACTLY what a woman is like:
Realdoll, The World's finest Love Doll

all the curves are there and she looks at me with lust in the eyes so I KNOW what love is. I've "logged" many hours with her so I'm an expert when it comes to women.

Not exactly.. but kinda

Last edited:
Oh believe me, flyboyj knows what you are talking about, and he has flown a LOT of aircraft, REAL aircraft.

What you are failing to understand is that basing your opinions on flight characteristics by experience playing a game are not realistic. They are not the same, at all.

DUDE, i'm not your DUDE.. comprendre? and the fact is.. that its getting CLOSE to realism for the 1.000.000 time.. In my opinion when you put the flight caractrics of the P51 to the P38 the P51 for me wins. PERIOD.

AND, i say once again that the real flying is different because you have some extra influences.. but you have the input of the caractrics of the planes where you can enjoy your combat flight simulator. Oke you dont feel G's and oke you dont smell you own sweat and other fluids from pullings those G's.. but hey.. that is no influence to the AIRCRAFT.. but the influence on the PILOT.

Your flying, and can for example pull 6g's easily.. but my granny could fly and would not take 4g's for example.. to me thats the example of the deference of taking punishment on a person's body.. and then i'm not counting braveness or foolish reactions of a pilot. Lets say pulling so many g's that you are knocked out-> pilot error..

Goddamn, than they respond i'm acting arrogant.. but the unwillingnes to accept a man's oppinion bothers me a lot. I have great respect for real pilot's.. but accept the fact that the new simmulator's are getting verry verry realistic.

AND. one other thing.. IL2 is the only old simulator i play. BUT with the latest graffic and sound mod's.. becouse the original version of the game is verry verry out of date.

I was going to play with you for a while but I just decided you're too stupid to be here. You say you have great respect for REAL pilots, I am one, so if you want you can start kissing my @ss. I've spent more time peeing on a tarmac then you'll ever see being the stick of a REAL airplane, not some kids game that gives you delusional visions of grandeur. Its evident you're NOT a pilot, you're basing your whole aviation eduction on a video game, and putting mildly you're totally full of sh!t. I'm giving you a gift, wear it well because its quite evident you're too stupid to realize there are some of us here who have been to where you can only dream of.

BTW - use a spell checker dipsh!t Comprendre?

Last edited:
I'm not a pilot, but Ive flown in military aircraft as a passenger. Ive flown flight as a training aid for RC aircraft, and have logged about 300 hours on those things. When I was serving, I got to try my hand at some of the real flight simulators at the tac Warfare School at HMAS Watson.

I have about 100 hours on RC aircraft,, and none on real aircraft. I can tell you, my friend, that in comparison to the "real" (ie RC) models, there is no comparison in the difficulties you can encounter. There may be localised atmospherics, the model may not be trimmed properly, the engine may lose power, you may get a loose or broken control rod.....your elevators may warp, because of excessive flutter, or 10 other things the flight sim cannot prepare you for.

Dont get me wrong...flight sims, even game sims, can be useful as a training aid, but they cannot compare to the real deal. Flying RC is a sttep above flying computers, and I believe flying for real would be about 50 steps above that.

I suggest you listen to these guys....they know what they are talking about.

Last edited:
Bill, your post reminds me of a time I was on a long final, along with several other AC, solo in our 172, landing to the North at Addison Airport. I was over the Dallas North Tollroad with all those cars and office buildings below me and the tower told me to start doing S turns to open up the interval. I had never heard about that before although it was obvious what he wanted so I cautiously began "S turns" I was scared to death, sweating like a pig, shaking like a dog passing peach seeds and thinking, "I am going to stall this sucker and go down into all that concrete and traffic and kill myself and all these people." It is comical now but serious then. He finally told me to pull out and go around again and I thankfully did. It must have felt a little like encounter at low altitude like you talked about. No way a flight sim can imitate that.

IDont get me wrong...flight sims, even game sims, can be useful as a training aid, but they cannot compare to the real deal.

I've used MS Flight Sim to train for my instrument rating and sometimes pull it out to refresh some basic instrument procedures - it's excellent for that.

Your flying, and can for example pull 6g's easily.. but my granny could fly and would not take 4g's for example.. to me thats the example of the deference of taking punishment on a person's body.. and then i'm not counting braveness or foolish reactions of a pilot. Lets say pulling so many g's that you are knocked out-> pilot error.

I think that's the dumbest statement ever made by anyone on this forum!

III/JG53_Johann I think you are missing the point that Joe is trying to point out. That game is a model and nothing else. You are not flying, you are playing.

1. The game can not simulate factors (both human and environmental) that will effect the pilot which in turn can effect the outcome of the fight.

2. If you get shot down, you hit the restart button...;)

for adults i was hoping that you had more brains... match tuck? if you go to fast.. your elevators may not work properly like the most know fact is the P38.

and you loose your lift..

If you apply air brake.. you reduce airspeed so you get grip again and apply lift to your aircraft.

Ow and for adults i was hoping people would not play with my account.. obvious some guy's wont accept an other form of truth.. and act with childish behavior. Shame on you so called pilots with an attitude that smell's bad..

I like my hobby, will never stop liking it.. i compare data and facts.. not surplus facts those are human error..

OW and sucking up your ass? rather not.. your attitude smells like ****.. so i dont want to know how the rest smell you hillbilly.

You suck. Big time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back