P-40 Update (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Clave

Senior Master Sergeant
Jun 15, 2005
Deep in suburban Surrey
Kittyhawk 1A of 3 Squadron RAAF circa 1943.

P40E_Aus_3Sqn_1.png

Kittyhawk 1A of 75 Squadron RAAF circa 1942.

P40E_Aus_70Sqn_1.png

Kittyhawk 1A of 75 Squadron RAAF circa 1942.

P40E_Aus_75Sqn_1.png

P-40E of the Brazilian Air Force, circa 1942.

P40E_Brazil_1.png

Kittyhawk 1A of 94 Squadron RAF circa 1942.

P40E_GB_94Sqn_1.png

Kittyhawk 1A of 112 Squadron RAF circa 1942.

P40E_GB_112Sqn_1.png

P40E_GB_112Sqn_2.png

P40E_GB_112Sqn_3.png

Kittyhawk 1A of 14 Squadron RNZAF circa 1942.

P40E_NZ_14Sqn_1.png

Kittyhawk 1A of 16 Squadron RNZAF circa 1943.

P40E_NZ_16Sqn_1.png

Kittyhawk 1A of 4 Boluk Turkish Air Force circa 1942.

P40E_Turkey_4Boluk_1.png

P-40E of the 7th Fighter Squadron USAAC circa 1942.

P40E_USA_7FS_1.png

P-40E of the 9th Fighter Squadron USAAC circa 1942.

P40E_USA_9FS_1.png

P-40E of the 9th Fighter Squadron USAAC circa 1942.

P40E_USA_9FS_2.png

P-40E of the 11th Fighter Squadron USAAC circa 1942.

P40E_USA_11FS_1.png

Kittyhawk 1A of 20 GvIAP USSR Air Force circa 1943.

P40E_USSR_20GvIAP_1.png

I'm pretty happy with it - and I should explain that this is not a simple 're-hash' - I started out by wanting to redraw the cockpit area, and ended up doing the whole thing again from scratch... same with the F4U.. same with the Apache... same with the Ki-61... which explains my 'inactivity' here.... :|

Now the good news is that the new versions are much easier to modify with new schemes, so I'm really happy with that! :D

The other 'reworks' in progress are the MiG-29, and the Mustang, and I'm looking at a couple of brand new projects too. But as always, I need to earn a little money too, so some more T-shirts will be done, and I have an airliner on commission too, so I could be here every day or gone for weeks...

Excellent Clave!! One of my favourite planes :cool: Slight correction though. A29-99, the second one from the top, belongs to 75 sqn, not 70. This was flown by Geoff Atherton at the Battle of Milne Bay :cool:

Hi Clave,

How do you do your drawings? I was thinking that using GIMP to put the panel lines as a transparent overlay and cockpit and various equipment as an opaque overlay over the basic paint scheme would work pretty well. I am working along those lines with some stuff I am working on.

- Ivan.

I use Adobe Illustrator, but that is the wrong program apparently, as most people use Photoshop... :eek:

I think it depends on your mental approach to things - I think of these as 'drawings' first, and 'art' second... I suspect Photoshop would be miles better for doing complex camouflage, but in my view, it's Vector abilities are not good for doing precise drawing...

I use many layers to get all the objects where I want them, but here is a simplified version of the process of turning a line drawing into something else:

Attachments

• Process.jpg
    Process.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 1,462
NB: The Tornado has separate drawings for drop tanks, missiles, bombs, and ECM pods etc - these are copied and pasted from my 'Tornado bits' files as required allowing easy change of equipment loads... this also allows less layers in the main drawing, but it's still pretty intense with 105 layers - about 3 x what I would need for a Spitfire...

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words I really do. 8)

If I am short on replies or posts, it's just because I'm working on something new, or just working...:eek:

I'm sorry if someone has already asked this, but ...

Do you do the top and bottom wing profiles too?

EXCELLENT work, of course: I'm very impressed, Clave!

Art

Users who are viewing this thread

Back