P-51 Aces Symposium

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Eco-81

Airman
May 15, 2007
If you are in the area of Sacramento California this Sunday the 4th, come over to the former McClellen Air Force Base and meet these Aces. The day will provide an opportunity to personally meet and chat with the Aces during the mixer, hear them share their experiences flying in the ETO during the moderated panel discussion and get their autographs during the autograph session.
Aces on the panel:
Col Bud Anderson - 16.25 victory Ace with 357th FG
LtCol Don Bryan - 13.33 victory Ace with 352nd FG
Col Barrie Davis - 6 victory Ace with 325th FG
Col Art Fiedler - 8 Victory Ace with 325th FG
Originally scheduled but unable to attend was Col Steve Pisanos - 10 victory Ace with 71st Eagle Squadron and 4th FG. Signed copies of his book will be on hand.
In addition to the Aces on the panel, a number of other Fighter Aces and Aviators are expected to participate in the day's events. At the P-47 symposium in February Tony Banta brought up his P-51, P-40 and T-6.
Doors open at 12:15
This Symposium is presented by the Northern California Friends of the American Fighter Aces Association and is a not-for-profit, all volunteer organization whos mission is to present the history of the American Fighter Pilot and Fighter Ace.
Confirm a seat at (408)725-8095 or (925)609-9222 or e-mail at: [email protected].

thanks for the posting and please keep us up on the Northern Cali events as I have relatives living outside of Sac. Art is a great and gracious man have spoken by email with him many times, and Don Bryan is a super gent, quite a character I have a super story to put up on here but maybe I have ? about his Ar 234 chases, he had 4 of them the last he popped near Remagen bridge

E ~

Erich, I would be happy to ask Mr. Bryan (or any of the Aces) any questions you might have.

I just got word that a P-51 had just landed as was being moved into the museum. It was polished aluminum with yellow checker board nose, which I am assuming is Tony's "Kimberly Kaye". No word on any other planes yet.

just ask him how he is doing that's all, I need to send him a letter in a couple weeks with a few questions. the Ar 234 incidents were acted out over the phone with me with plenty of vim and vigour, I could almost read his thoughts as he seemed to be flying the mission while he was on the phone. this has happened more than once especailly with Mustang pilots that encountered German jets.

Eco, Don probably would not remember me at all but just say a friend of the 352nd fg sends his greetings from Oregon

Erich ~

Art Fiedler is a super guy. I met him last year at the Camarillo media day. Funny thing, he was more interested in talking about cameras and photography, which was okay by me. He was quite a shutterbug during the war too.

Here he is with Herb Prevost, who was the last base commander at Oxnard Army Airfield, which is today Camarillo Airport.

Attachments

• DSC_5141.jpg
    DSC_5141.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 70
All the Aces at the symposium were in great health and spirits. They were trully excited to tell their stories. Also in attendance were Jim Morehead, Ted Crosby and Robert Aschenbrener.

Erich, unfortunatley I did not get to hear the AR234 stories, I did bring it up to Don and he smilled at me, laughed and said "maybe another time".

Here are a couple of pictures I took.

Attachments

• Group-4.JPG
    Group-4.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1078.JPG
    IMG_1078.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1079.JPG
    IMG_1079.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1081.JPG