P-51 Lou IV

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A couple years back I had asked about what happened to a P-51 I had sat in as a child, and had learned that it had sadly crashed. Well, a couple months ago a nurse mentioned to me that a Mustang had been purchased by an RV dealership owner in Saskatchewan, and was being restored there with the help of a friend of hers. After looking into it a bit more it turns out to be the exact plane I was asking about in the past! I looked up the aircraft's ownership history and sure enough it had been owned by a Chuck Greenhill, which is the man who allowed my brother and I to sit in it. After some contact with both the owner and one of the restorers, I have been alerted to a Facebook page with updates on the restoration and have found out my name will be on a plaque in the aft cockpit, which is very cool. Anyhow, here is the link to the Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/restorelouiv

I remember that crash very well. John McKittrick was flying it. It torque-rolled on a go-around and cartwheeled across the grass at Camarillo. It was a sad loss of both the plane, and the pilot. Here are some shots of it at the last show it was in before the crash, Camarillo Airshow 2006.

DSC_7777.jpg

DSC_8372.jpg

Great stuff Cory, and you're not alone Geo. I don't belong to Facebook or similar either, and have no intention of doing so in future.

Congratulations on the plaque Cory - how did that come about?

Thanks, and honestly Evan, I'm not really sure how it came about.

Thought I had posted this but I guess not. Turns out a lot of it is being restored very close to Edmonton, so I'll be able to go see the restoration as well as apparently help out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back