P-51D maneuvrability - what it was in reality ...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It was extremely small and difficult to see though, and did sort of fire back as many pilots were killed by the blast of cannon detonated warheads
From what I read apart from the warhead itself the "kill area" on a V1 amounted to the motor itself and the single most telling factor was having cannon not MGs.

Laminar-flow is not the same as "thin". A laminar-flow wing has the thickest part of the wing positioned along the wing's chord in such a manner that the airflow at the boundary doesn't separate so quickly.
uumm Laminar flow wing is when the top surface and bottom surface are near identical. thus when compressibility occurs it happens at the same time and at the same distance from the leading edge. as a result there is no compressibility torque imposed on the wing.
a Laminar flow wing produces lift only by managing the angle of attack.
the P51 middle and out wing profiles are not the same top and bottom, and the chord is too far back to be a true laminar flow profile.
BUT having said that, the Chord or thickest part of the wing being so far back and being where compressibility occured, was the same profile to and bottom. thus did not produce torque on the wing. add to that the supper. brilliant tail didn't enter compressibility and was not effected by the turbulence by the wing. thus control was maintained for longer.

nice post
The cooling drag is close to zero due to the Meredith effect.. misleading. all fighter aircraft uses meredith effect to some existent. the P51 did this well.
But the original north american XP51 plans had a chin mounted radiator. this was changed due to British air ministry influence. firstly thinking the P51 as a P40 replacement. so the british North africa exspericans came into play.
the Hurricanes had less radiator damage than the P40. north americans purchase of curtis P46?? and the gaining of the internal flow Tech. but this was just the start point.
the real advantage was the scoop itself.

the bleeding edge scoop, so you are 100% correct when you wrote the P51 fuselage was quite slippery and not wrong when you wrote about the meredith effect but the meredith effect is a smaller part of the story than it really is. so its not so much that the meredith effect was increased to a point where it zeroed out drag. is more that the drag was decreased to match the meredith effect.

you compared to a spitfire. i have never found the numbers to do a good direct comparison. that's even after converting from Rabble gallons to real gallons. and its even just not what spitfire Mk but what wings it had, what blower etc. this gets really messy on the spitfire side really quickly.

so i would be interested in what anyone else has used?

but is we just look at 3 numbers, altitude, cruise speed in conjunction with fuel consumption. the spitfire could cover more distance, thus it is more slippery at cruse speeds of about 260Knts

But i would expect and the number seem to confirm, that at higher speeds. the spitfires more conventional wing, the drag would increases more than that of the P51 wing, and with speed the p51 wing would lose " angle of attack" and the conventional profile of the spitfire wing would keep on producing life, or excessive lift requiring a negative angle of attack.

uummm i said you can look at the profile of the P51 wing and compare it to a profile of a laminar flow wing and see the difference.

i didn't say NAA claimed the P51 had a laminar flow wing. but i have observe may posts claiming that. and it these posts i am addressing.

the P51 was not more efficient at all speeds. the spitfire was more economic at cruse for example, and had a much higher Mach number as examples.

correct the cooling set up was a real advantage

you wrote
putting the thickest part of the chord further back delayed the onset of turbulence
this is the onset of compressibility, not drag.

the spitfire wing? which one?

the short answer is
the browning .303 as modified by the RAF was 1/2 the weight and 1/2 the size of a .50 browning.
the .50 browning is about the same size and weight as a 20mm cannon

as for fitting the browning this started before BOB and was a hard path.
the first operational spits with cannon was the MkIII. which was withdrawn due to ejector problems.
then fixed and re issued. then with drawen again before the Mk III was dumped.

the Mk5 came into service,, then the MkV got the MkIII wing ( universal wing) but there was a cost in climb performance so it got dumped.

then finally with the Mk IV the RAF finally got a cannon wing that worked. BUT, even though the cannons were mounted on their sides, the wings still had blisters to make room.

so i guess you could say the Cannons did not fit in the wing. they stuck out a bit.

as for drag, the spitfire could cruse further on the same volume of fuel. so efficacy of an airframe is dependant on speed, in the spitfire vers P51 the P51 was more efficient at high speed where the spitfire efficiency dropped off, but then the spitfire was more efficient at transonic speeds than the P51. so its not so simple.

Qute correct, add to that the dragging of ammo boxes over the wing, denting the shit out of them

I have read on here that the windscreen on the Spitfire is the first to "shock", I have no idea whether that means it causes high drag at lower speeds, as compared to the buckets they call radiator scoops on the Mk XIV Spitfire, for example.
first to shock, the first part of the airframe to accelerate the airspeed into compressibility, not a low speed issue but a high speed problem.

the bucketts were in the boundary layer. so were taking up air that had already been slowed down. so you could call then 1/2 bucketts
they were not as draggy and you would first expect. but nowhere as good as the P51 Tunnel ram.

One bucket was just as draggy as I expected because the MkI and Mk V only had one, the Mk XIV I specifically mentioned had two.

Since no profile of any WW2 aircraft actually was laminar flow we can all look at as many profiles as we think fit, what do they look like? How/ why was the Spitfire more economic on cruise settings, that isnt what I have read at all.

Since no profile of any WW2 aircraft actually was laminar flow we can all look at as many profiles as we think fit, what do they look like? How/ why was the Spitfire more economic on cruise settings, that isnt what I have read at all.
B24, was a true laminar flow wing.
laminar flow as designated by the aviation industry.

because the P51 wing was a near identical profile top and bottom. and the spitfire profile was a more traditional profile with a larger length top of the wing than the bottom of the wing.

the spitfire wing would produce lift with minim angle of attack, where the p51 wing could only produce lift with a lot of angle of attack.

so the slower the P51 is the more angle of attack it needs to crate lift, more angle of attack = more drag = more power = more fuel. until its traveling fast enough to need no angle of attack, at this point it has its minimum drag

the spitfire wing which produces more lift needed much less angle of attack as speed increased less and less angle of attack was needed. until it needed 0 deg. the most less drag at this point. BUT the down side is if speed increase past this point the wing is producing more lift than is needed. then you need a negative angle of attack. stick forward, nose down. to maintain level flight. and this increases' drag.

if you played with Kites when you were a kid. your string was attached further back in light winds and forwards in higher winds, same thing.

The cooling drag of the P-51 was near net zero, no matter how it was achieved. No other airplane in WWII achieved zero cooling drag ... only the P-51.

A P-51 variant with a chin radiator was never built.

A Spitfire never flew that could match a P-51 for range.

A P-51D at 300 mph TAS burned about 55 - 60 U.S. gallons per hour at typical cruise altitudes in the ETO. 1 U.S. gallon is 1.2 Imperial gallons.

For cruising, the Spitfire IX recommended speed was 170 - 200 mph. There is no chart for power, speed, and fuel burn all at the same time that I can find in the pilot's manual. Go figure. For a Spitfire Mk XVI or a Mk IX, about +4 psi boost, 2650 rpm and will burn 71 Imperial gallons per hour, which is 60 US GPH. So, at 60 gph, the Mustang was cruising about 300 mph and the Spitfire speed is basically unknown. But we KNOW the Merlin Spitfires were slower than the Merlin Mustang at maximum power, so we can assume they were slower at cruise, too, without much chance of an error. Likely they were a bit slower, but not that much ... but we can't prove that with the standard pilot's manual. I could ask tomorrow at the Planes of Fame, assuming Steve Hinton is there. Maybe. We'll see.

But the Merlin Spitfire didn't generally out-speed or out-range the Mustang, ever. It DID climb better and was a better maneuvering turner. I'd prefer the Spitfire's cannons to the P-51's MG, too. But a Spitfire was never very good at stretching range or going especially fast ... except in a dive. It WAS the best diving piston fighter of the war, as far as I know. That has much more to do with gravity and a slightly better critical Mach number than any drag number at cruise speed though.

correct

correct, i did say built but was the original North american design.

correct

i have a 51B 65 imp gallons and 220 knots and spitfire lX at 55 imp Gallons at 200 Knts. as i said hard to get data at 8000 feet

you are comparing Griffon powered spits. apples with Lemons.

correct, and out dive

View attachment 736167

"Laminar Flow" wrt aerofoils is always good for an argument. I subscribe to Eastman Jacob's definition, as he was the man who joined the dots with the research results and first coined the term.
that he did.
intrestinthough, north american did not uses a Nacc profile. neither did super marine. to the best of my knowledge the only two who didn't.

I'm not an expert, but one, I do know what I'm talking about, and two, when I do have questions or curiosities, I ask, and I do know that a lot of people here know a lot more than I do.

There was never (at least known) a Mustang with a chin radiator. Going back to the P-509 (which evolved into the NA-73X), all Mustang developments had a ventral radiator. The closest was the Rolls-Royce Mustang X Merlin engine test beds that were converted from RAF Mustang Is. The "chin" intake housed the intercooler and supercharger intake.

The Spitfire IXe and XIVe had 2 .50 Browning MGs and 2 20mm Hispano cannons. Spitfires from the Mk V onwards that were fitted with the "C" universal wing (of which the "E" was a variant of) could house 4 20mm cannons (not standardized until the Spitfire 21).

And the Hispano cannon was much larger than the .50 MG. The numbers I've seen for the .50 Browning aircraft model ranged between 52-65 lbs, the Hispano Mk II/M2 was 100-110 lbs, the Mk V/M3/M24 was 83-88 lbs. Numbers probably vary due to presence of extra equipment vs the basic weapon. Not to mention that it was quite a bit longer.

Also, until the XP-51F/G and P-51H, the Spitfire could easily outclimb the Mustang (better power to weight ratio due to being built to lower max load standards, which means lower weight), and should've been more maneuverable (especially at lower speeds) due to lower wing loading (again related to weight, though the P-51 could easily out roll the Spitfire unless the Spitfire had clipped wings until the Mk 21).

With the XP-51F/G (which weighed roughly the same as a Spitfire IX, though it carried more than twice the fuel), you had a plane with similar wing loading to the Spitfire and combined with improved control surfaces should've been more agile than a P-51D even with the D "flying light". The P-51H (production evolution of the F/G models) was comparable in weight to the Griffon Spitfires, with a similar power to weight ratio and wing loading. Of course, no comparative flights with the F/G/H was never done against the Spitfire.

Also, for extra credit, those aforementioned planes (as well as the XP-82/P-82B at least, and maybe the Allison powered P-82E/F/G/H and XP-51J) did have a radiator design that produced a positive thrust to drag ratio (so it actually produced more thrust than drag).

Otherwise, all I can say (not being an insane expert), is, paging drgondog...

Users who are viewing this thread