P-61 Black Widow Pictures

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

don't bet on seeing that bird in the air buck. that poor thing is an almost total revamp of what was left of body and frame smashed to pieces and covered with jungle turf. I got first hand knowledge of it's whereabouts and colour pics to boot when I was a member of the US NF's association now defunct for some years.

don't bet on seeing that bird in the air buck. that poor thing is an almost total revamp of what was left of body and frame smashed to pieces and covered with jungle turf. I got first hand knowledge of it's whereabouts and colour pics to boot when I was a member of the US NF's association now defunct for some years.

Wasnt that the P61 ecovered from a mountain top near Hollandia (now Jayapura)?

The one at the MAAM is the one recovered from the mountain side. It was laid claim to by a local village cheif or medicine man, and arrangements with him were made to recover the plane IRRC.

they would be fools to try and take her up, maybe a move out on the tarmac for the existing NF members and their families, just do it slowly and don't push this thing, she is one of a kind on the planet

a few of the P-61's in the photos carry the 548th Night Fighter Squadron emblem on thier cockpit nose area.

I understand both sides of the fly it, do not fly it question. But being the only one left airworthy makes it too important to risk losing it in a crash, especially when there are only 4 or so left in the world.

Reminds me of that B-29 that was salvaged and rebuilt on location. They got it running and ready for takeoff then while it was taxiing there was an electrical short somewhere near the tail and the whole thing just burned to the ground. I think that plane may yet fly but as to if it should or not. That choice belongs to those who put their time and money into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back