Palm Springs Air Museum

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ontos

Tech Sergeant
Mar 8, 2009
Riverside, California
Well I finally got to go to this museum, we had a great time and learned allot from some of those great veterans who flew these beauties, especially the B-17 crew. Used the new camera so any advise is greatly appreciated.

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

Awesome... I like your photo of the fightdeck and seeing the depth of field...

Was that a DC3 or a C47? Did it have pasanger seats or was it set up for cargo/paratroopers?

The camo plane was a DC-3 and was set up for troops, it had wood benches on the port and starboard sides. I didn't check the history on it, which I hope to do, but it had signs inside and writing on the bulkhead that were all in Arabic.

Not bad, Ontos. The inside if an air museum give some challenging lighting and you did pretty well. One thing I would suggest is to watch your horizon a bit. Not a huge deal, but something that easily forgotten.

The C-47 was actually outfitted as an electronic combat aircraft and the markings inside are in Hebrew, not Arabic. The Israelis used them for electronic reconnaissance, eavesdropping and they even had a few that had high power transmitters that would emit a signal to blow up mines on the ground as they flew over them. They called them Mallards, hence the stylized Mallard marking. There is another former Israeli C-47 at the Estrella Warbird Museum in Paso Robles and another one at Camarillo with the American Aeronautical Foundation.

I wrote an online article about the one at Estrella:
Van Gilder Aviation Photography of Southern California- A C-47 with some history

Keep experimenting with your camera, you are doing well. :thumbleft: You do have a couple of KC shots that are cool too. 8)

I'll tell you, I just want to get out and take pictures. My wife and I are going to go out to downtown Riverside and take some pictures of the historic buildings before they tear them down for progress. I have quite a few questions about lenses and filters etc. Like my lenses say 58mm is that the dia. of the lens. and will a 68mm fit on my camera? I get confused with the different mm. :oops: So much to learn.

I believe the mm measurement is indicating the lens end of the instrument ontos. And yes the do make different size lenses for the Xsi you need to shop around though and some places will let you rent a lens for so much a day if you would like to try one before you buy one. I'm still learning and am a little unsure of myself with photography so I do not mind being second guessed.

Cool pics Ontos :thumbright: I was in that museum about 3 years ago when I had a congress in Palm Springs. I enjoyed it very much. Did you make any pictures of the Wildcat? I thought that one was really awesome, especially since I had never seen one for real.

I love the Palm Springs Air Museum. They have a real friendly group of volunteers and having been there for the Mentor gathering the last 2 years, I can tell you they have been very accommodating and fantastic.

Great to hear they are going to get the PBY flying again. They have made a lot of progress in the last year.

The mm number on the inside of your lens cap is the inside diameter of the lens, or the size of a filter (or replacement lens cap) that you can use. That's another reason I don't like to use filters, too much work to shift them and keep track of. And when you are at a show like Chino, you barely have time to replace a flash card, much less a filter. Of course, if you are shooting things that are a little less speedy and you have the time, it's not so bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back